Construct a launcher

1. My engineering assignment calls for me to create a launcher that will propel a jumbo marshmallow at a target 50 feet away. I’m really excited about this assignment since this will be the first thing I’ve ever constructed on my own, but I’m unsure about finding inexpensive materials (my launcher cannot exceed $25).

I recently discover PVC pipes as a cheap way of constructing a cannon & I began working on a design seen here. I would like to have a release chamber that contains pressurized air so that the air will force the marshmallow to its target once it is lodged into my device. In order to do this, I would like to use an air pump to fill the chamber with air, but I don’t know if I will get the

Will PVC pipes be okay to use for air pressure? If not, what type of pipes or materials can I use to construct an inexpensive pressure chamber? Thanks in advance for the advice.

2. jcsd
  3. Have you tried calculating approximately how much pressure will be necessary? I believe PVC has a pressure rating stamped on the side; always allow yourself an extra margin of safety.

4. Oh, I don’t know how to calculate that. But I’m thinking if I check the gauge from the pump and keep within the allotted amount of pressure from the PVC pipe, then it should be okay.

Thanks for that tip-- I didn't know about the PVC pressure rating. :smile:

5. Launcher help

IM HAVING A SIMILAR PROBLEM.BUT FOR MY LAUNCHER WEIRE SHOOTING PING-PONG BALLS. I FOUND THET A FLOURESENT LIGHT COVER WORKS GREAT. IT HAS ENOUGH AIR PRESSURE BUT IT DOESNT HAVE TOO MUCH EITHER. ARE YOU ELEVATING UR LAUNCHER? IF U ARE HOW HIGH AND AT WHAT ANGLE ARE YOU?

6. Hi Sciencewiz,

From what I've read in my text, if you want your projectile to go it's maximum range, the angle you should use is 45 degrees. We (my group) used PVC pipes and an air compressor-- our marshmallow flew beyond 100ft! This is a really cool assignment but I was robbed of much of the fun because I worked with unreliable people who didn't want to participate in anything.

Anyhow, I hope you have fun and I hope you don't have any problems building your launcher. :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thead via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?