1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Construct an Operator (2-D QM)

1. Apr 10, 2009 #1

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Construct the [tex]S_r[/tex] operator, which is the spin operator in the r direction.

2. Relevant equations
    The pauli-matrices are useful, I would assume.

3. The attempt at a solution
    So, the way we constructed the other 3 operators by noting their effects on a state |s m>

But I can't do that here because I have no idea what this operator [tex]S_r[/tex] will do to a state |s m>

I thought about looking at the fact that:

[tex] x = rsin(\theta)cos(\phi), y = rsin(\theta)cos(\phi), and z=rcos(\theta)[/tex]

and just replace all the x's with [tex]S_x[/tex]'s and r's with [tex]S_r[/tex]'s etc. But I don't think this will work as it will give me 3 different answers.

I need help on how to start with this.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2009 #2
    If you have a vector A then how do you calculate its component in a certain direction n?

You take the inner product of the unitvector of the given direction n and the vector A.

So this is the same case. How would you do it here? ;)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook