Construct Heating Element

• Thread starter MB876
  • Start date
I need to construct a heating element powered by 9V that needs to reach 400 C. How do I figure out what length of wire I will need. I will most likely be using nichrome or kanthal A1

Answers and Replies

Depends what you need to heat.
There are standard tables which tell you the temperature a wire of given cross section (and therefore resistance) will reach for a certain current in still air, but if you used the same wire to try to heat water to 400C you are going to need more power.

i want to make a resistive heater,in which temperature reaches to 1000C.i want to know how long wire should i take,what should be its diameter and how many number of turns it should have to give max. efficiency??

i am again putting the same question.kindly answer as early as possible.
i want to make a resistive heater,in which temperature reaches to 1000C.i want to know how long wire should i take,what should be its diameter and how many number of turns it should have to give max. efficiency??

It is unlikely that a 9 volt battery has enough energy to do what you want.

There are infinite combinations of wire sizes and wire lengths that will reach 1000C.

You will get better responses if you are consistent.
Are you MB876 or Hassan Javed?
Is it 400C or 1000C

You will probably get better responses if you describe what you are trying to do, rather than "temperature reaches to 1000C".

im hassan javed.
i want to make a resistive furnace in which temperature of 1000C can obtain.
so i need info about different parameters involve like length and diameter of wire etc.

Do you require a heating element at 1000C or do you require the object you are processing to be at 1000C?

Determine size of furnace.
Determine how effective thermal insulation is.
Calculate desired watts.
Select any wire size and calcluate watts maximum. Use larger wire if you require higher watts.

For a sanity check determine what wattage a electric home oven uses. A 1000C furnace will probably use at least 4 times the wattage of a electric home oven.(Just guessing, don't have any firm figures)

Years ago there were some articles on ovens to melt metals using a carbon arc. A carbon arc might be a better approach for high temperatures than a resistive furnance.

Could you use an induction heater?

No,i Could not use an induction heater yet.
its just a project,upon which i am working.thats why i need such info.

Last edited: