Constructability of Roots (esp w/Hilbert Tools)

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of constructability in geometry, specifically in relation to finding the roots of polynomials using ruler and compass or Hilbert tools. The first question is about the constructability of real roots using the quadratic formula, the second question is about proving constructability using Hilbert tools, and the third question is about the implications of having complex roots on constructability. The expert provides clear answers to these questions and offers to answer any further questions.
C. Caesar
ello all,
This is largely a repost of something I posted on r/math, but didn't seem to find any luck there with two of my questions, so I'm asking it again here with the hopes that someone here can answer my questions. Thanks!

I'm studying for a final in geometry, and I know I'm going to get a question of the form "Let a be a real root of p(x). Is a constructable by ruler and compass? Is a constructable by Hilbert tools?" - Where p(x) is some easy to factor polynomial (judging from past problems, highly likely its a quartic easily solvable by substitution into a quadratic).

Unfortunately, I missed the day of class where we went over this, so I have no notes on it, and it is also pretty much the only topic in the class where we strayed from the textbook, so I have no help there. Also the internet hasn't been the most helpful.

I basically just have three questions.

1) Assuming I can get answers in terms of radicals via the quadratic equation, the (real) roots are always constructable by ruler and compass, right?

2) Furthermore, is it enough to show that the root is not constructable by Hilbert tools by showing it cannot be simplified into root(1+b2 )? (where b is some number)

3) In addition, I seem to remember talking about some additional restraint or conclusion you can reach when you know that not all of the solutions to the polynomial are real, but I cannot remember what that conclusion actually is, can someone remind me of that?

Thanks so much, and if you have more questions I'm happy to answer them.

Mathematics news on Phys.org

Hello there,

I would be happy to help answer your questions about constructability in geometry. Firstly, to answer your first question, yes, any real root of a polynomial that can be solved using the quadratic formula can be constructed using ruler and compass. This is because the quadratic formula gives us the exact values of the roots, which can then be constructed using ruler and compass.

For your second question, it is not enough to show that the root cannot be simplified into root(1+b^2) to prove that it is not constructable by Hilbert tools. This is because there are other methods of constructing numbers using Hilbert tools, such as using the Pythagorean theorem or constructing the geometric mean of two numbers. So, to prove that a root is not constructable by Hilbert tools, you would need to show that it cannot be constructed using any known method.

Lastly, for your third question, if not all of the solutions to a polynomial are real, then we can conclude that the polynomial has complex roots. This means that the roots cannot be constructed using ruler and compass, as ruler and compass constructions are limited to real numbers. This is because complex numbers involve the use of imaginary numbers, which cannot be constructed using ruler and compass.

I hope this helps answer your questions. If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask and I will do my best to assist you. Good luck on your final!

1. What is the concept of "constructability" in relation to roots?

Constructability refers to the ability to physically or geometrically construct a root or solution to an algebraic equation using a straightedge and compass. It is a concept in geometry and algebra that has been studied for centuries.

2. How do Hilbert tools relate to the constructability of roots?

Hilbert tools, also known as Hilbert's axioms, are a set of axioms or fundamental principles in geometry that were proposed by mathematician David Hilbert. These axioms provide a framework for proving the constructability of roots and other geometric constructions.

3. Can all roots be constructed using Hilbert tools?

No, not all roots can be constructed using Hilbert tools. While Hilbert's axioms provide a powerful framework for geometric constructions, there are certain roots that cannot be constructed using a straightedge and compass. This was proven by mathematician Pierre Wantzel in the 19th century.

4. What are some examples of roots that cannot be constructed using Hilbert tools?

Some examples of roots that cannot be constructed using Hilbert tools include the square root of 2, the cube root of 3, and the fifth root of 2. These roots are considered "irrational" as they cannot be expressed as a ratio of two integers, making them impossible to construct using only a straightedge and compass.

5. How is the constructability of roots relevant in modern mathematics?

The constructability of roots, while a concept that has been studied for centuries, is still relevant in modern mathematics. It provides insights into the limitations of geometric constructions and has connections to other areas of mathematics such as Galois theory and the study of fields. Additionally, it has practical applications in engineering and architecture where precise geometric constructions are necessary.