Proving No Constructible Roots for x^(6) - x^(2) + 2 = 0

• Thread starter saadsarfraz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Roots
In summary, to prove that x^(6) - x^(2) +2 =0 has no constructible roots, you have to show that its equivalent polynomial y^3 - y + 2 = 0 has no algebraic roots of order 2 or 0. This can be done by using the fact that all constructible numbers are algebraic of order a power of 2 and showing that none of the roots of the polynomial satisfy this condition.
saadsarfraz

Homework Statement

prove that x^(6) - x^(2) +2 =0 has no constructible roots

Homework Equations

see above

The Attempt at a Solution

I have to divide the equation by x^(3) which would give me x^(3) - x^(-1) + 2x^(-2)= 0
I can't find a suitable substitution in terms of x which would change this into a proper cubic equation and see if it has rational roots.

Physics news on Phys.org
saadsarfraz said:
prove that x^(6) - x^(2) +2 =0 has no constructible roots

Typo? It has no real roots at all.

how do i show it then? by assuming x=p/q as a rational root and then going on from there?

ok i made the substitution x=y+1 and now I have this polynomial y^6 + 6y^5 + 15y^4 + 20y^3 + 14y^2 + 4y + 2 = 0, all i have to do is show that this has irrational roots but i just don't know how.

What precisely do you mean by "constructible"? In the version I'm familiar with, many complex numbers are constructible. (In particular, anything with constructible real and imaginary parts is constructible)

anything that can be drawn using a straight edge and a compass, the only problem i have is to show that the equation i have written has no rational roots.

saadsarfraz said:
ok i made the substitution x=y+1 and now I have this polynomial y^6 + 6y^5 + 15y^4 + 20y^3 + 14y^2 + 4y + 2 = 0, all i have to do is show that this has irrational roots but i just don't know how.

No, you have to use a cubic for the theorem to apply.

How about w=x^2?

Why would irrational roots tell you anything about constructible roots? Many irrational numbers, for example [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex], are constructible.

It's hard to tell you how to proceed without know what fact, theorems, etc. you have to work with. If it were me, I would just use the fact that all constructible numbers are algebraic of order a power of 2. Then show that none of the roots of [itex]x^6- x^2+ 2= 0[/itex] (which is equivalent to [itex]y^3- y+ 2= 0[/itex] with [itex]y= x^2[/itex]) are algebraic of order 2 or 0.

What is the equation being studied?

The equation being studied is x^(6) - x^(2) + 2 = 0.

What does it mean for a root to be "constructible"?

A root is considered constructible if it can be expressed using a finite number of operations of addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, and taking square roots.

Why is it important to prove that there are no constructible roots for this equation?

Proving that there are no constructible roots for this equation can provide insights into the limitations of constructibility in algebraic equations and contribute to the understanding of Galois theory.

What methods are typically used to prove that there are no constructible roots for an equation?

The most common methods include using field extensions, Galois theory, and the constructible numbers theorem.

What implications does this proof have in the field of algebra?

The proof can have significant implications in the field of algebra, as it contributes to the understanding of the limitations of constructibility and has applications in fields such as geometry, number theory, and cryptography.