Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Constructing a function!

1. Mar 13, 2006 #1

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Today, I had the desire to construct a [itex]C^{\infty}[/itex] approximation to a tent function. Specifically, for any positive real number e I want a [itex]C^{\infty}[/itex] function f such that:

f(x) = 0 if |x| > 1 + e
    |f(x) - g(x)| < e for all x

where g(x) is the tent function given by:

[tex]
    g(x) =
    \begin{cases}
    0 & |x| \geq 1 \\
    1 - |x| & |x| \leq 1
    \end{cases}
    [/tex]

I'm willing to accept on faith that such things exist, but it struck me today that I don't know how to go about constructing such a thing, or at least proving its existence.

Given time I could probably figure it out, but I'm interested in a different problem (for which I want to use this), and I imagine this is a well-known thing.

So I guess what I'm looking for is at least a "yes" or "no" answer to the existence of such a function, but a hint as to the proof would be nice too.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2006 #2

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I have a theorem which states:

Let [itex]g\,:\,\mathbb{R}^m\to\mathbb{R}[/itex] be a bounded, uniformly continuous function. Then

[tex](\forall\epsilon > 0)(\exists f\in C^{\infty}(\mathbb{R}^m,\,\mathbb{R}))(\forall x \in \mathbb{R}^m)(|g(x) - f(x)| < \epsilon)[/tex]

Define a function [itex]\sigma _0\,:\,x\mapsto\exp\left(\frac{-1}{x+1}\right)[/itex] for x > -1 and [itex]x\mapsto 0[/itex] otherwise. Define a function [itex]\sigma\,:\,x\mapsto\sigma_0(x)\sigma_0(-x)[/itex]. Finally, define [itex]\beta\,:\,\mathbb{R}^m\to\mathbb{R}[/itex] by:

[tex]\beta (x) = \frac{\sigma (|x|)}{\int _{|y|<1}\sigma (|y|)dy}[/tex]

By uniform continuity of g, given [itex]\epsilon > 0[/itex], you can pick [itex]\delta > 0[/itex] such that:

[tex](\forall x,z \in \mathbb{R}^m)(|x-z|<\delta \Rightarrow |g(x)-g(z)|<\epsilon)[/tex]

The function f that you want is:

[tex]f(x) = \int _{\mathbb{R}^m}g(x+\delta y)\beta (y)dy[/tex]

Last edited: Mar 13, 2006
  4. Mar 13, 2006 #3

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm not sure if that's good enough for the problem of interest. And there has to be a typo in that, because g is essentially never used! (was it supposed to be in the final integral?)

The problem I want to solve (which I'm also sure is well-known by those who know it well -- but I actually want to enjoy this one!) is the following:

Suppose I have a "nice" space of functions R²->R, with some topology. I want to prove that the subspace spanned by the functions of the form f(x)g(y) for "nice" f and g is dense in the original space.

So, I take a "nice" function on two variables, and I want to find a sequence of functions in that subspace that converge to it.

My plan of attack was to form a polyhedral approximation to the function, where each polyhedron is the product of two line segments. I can then decompose the polyhedra into (a product of) tent functions.

Or, equivalently, I pick a (sufficiently fine) lattice of points in R², and use (sums of) (products of) tent functions to interpolate between points.

I then want to smooth my tent functions into "nice" functions, so that I get actual elements of the subspace of interest, and then try to produce a sequence that converges to the target function in the "nice" way specified by the topology.

One example of the class of "nice" functions of interest are C-infinity functions with compact support. Another would be the "rapidly decreasing" functions: if you take any derivative of your function, and multiply by any polynomial, the result is bounded.

The approximation in your post would seem to be inadequate for these tasks.

5. Mar 13, 2006 #4

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, there was a typo; I've fixed it. The reason was that my theorem had f given, and g was the desired function, so in rewriting it to match your notation I missed a g.

Anyways, would using a Taylor approximation help with your problem?

6. Mar 13, 2006 #5

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I had thought about it, but had initially dismissed it because C-infinity functions are generally not equal to their Taylor series. The partial series are polynomials, which are distinctly not nice, due to their behavior "at infinity". I think, maybe, they'd be useful if I was only working over a subset of R².

Hrm, that does give me an idea. (Yes, the chain of reasoning did start with Taylor series. :tongue:)

Maybe I can construct a sequence of "nice" functions that approximate a delta function. I could make a slight variation to everyone's favorite non-analytic smooth function, to produce:

[tex]
    f(x) :=
    \begin{cases}
    0 & x \leq 0 \\
    e^{-1/x^2} e^{-1 / (x - 1)^2} & 0 \leq x \leq 1 \\
    0 & 1 \leq x
    \end{cases}
    [/tex]

this would give me a C-infinity function that is zero outside of (0, 1). By playing with constants, I ought to be able to produce a sequence that would approximate a delta function, and if I convolve one with a tent function, maybe I'll get what I seek?

7. Mar 13, 2006 #6

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Never start an analysis problem after bedtime. :redface:

Yes, this idea works. If I define:

[tex]
    h_d(x) :=
    \begin{cases}
    K_d e^{-1/(x-d)^2} e^{-1/(x+d)^2} & |x| < d \\
    0 & |x| \geq d
    \end{cases}
    [/tex]

then I have a C-infinity function that is nonzero outside the compact interval [-d, d]. Furthermore, it is strictly positive in (-d, d), and the constant [itex]K_d[/itex] is chosen so that the integral over [-d, d] is equal to 1.

So as d goes to zero, this approaches a delta function, so I think it can be used for smoothing. (And yes, I think this is a similar idea to what you posted)

If I want to smooth the uniformly continuous function f(x), I can define:

[tex]
    g_d(x) := \int_{-d}^{d} f(x - y) h_d(y) \, dy
    [/tex]

Then, if I pick [itex]\delta[/itex] such that [itex]|x - y| < \delta \Rightarrow |f(x) - f(y)| < \epsilon[/itex], we can upper and lower bound f(x - y), giving:

[tex]
    f(x) - \epsilon < g_{\delta}(x) < f(x) + \epsilon
    [/tex]

So is this C-infinity? Well, we can apply a change of variable:

[tex]
    g_d(x) = \int_{x-d}^{x+d} f(z) h_d(x - z) \, dz
    [/tex]

Bleh, it's been a while... oh bleh, I had the derivative slightly wrong. (But I was just missing multipliers of "1") Found it at Wikipedia

[tex]
    g_d'(x) = f(x+d) h_d(-d) - f(x-d) h_d(d) + \int_{x-d}^{x+d} f(z) \frac{\partial}{\partial x}h_d(x - z) \, dz
    = \int_{x-d}^{x+d} f(z) \frac{\partial}{\partial x}h_d(x - z) \, dz
    [/tex]

and repeating,

[tex]
    \left( \frac{d}{dx} \right)^n g_d(x)
    = \int_{x-d}^{x+d} f(z) \left( \frac{\partial}{\partial x} \right)^n h_d(x - z) \, dz
    [/tex]

and therefore, I can produce a smooth approximation of a tent function!

That was actually more fun than I thought it would be! :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?