Building a Piecewise Function with Elementary Functions

• Thread starter roger
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, the conversation revolved around the benefits of using technology in the classroom. The participants discussed how technology can enhance learning and make it more engaging for students. They also mentioned the potential drawbacks, such as distractions and overdependence on technology. Overall, the consensus was that technology can be a valuable tool in education, but it should be used in moderation and with intention.
roger
How would one construct a function involving elementary functions, F:R->R such that F(x)=x^2 iff x<=a and F(x)=x^3 iff x>a?

cheers,
roger

Mathematics news on Phys.org
i'm not sure what you are trying to say. What you have given is a function expressed in terms of elementary functions.

Do you mean to ask if it can be expressed as a composition of elementary functions? I would think not, as such a composition would be inifnitely differentiable, where as this function is not.

yes I guess I mean as a composition of elementary functions, however I'm not sure I understand the relevance of your last comment about differentiability.

can anyone help me?

Or did you mean a piecewise function, with:

[tex]f(x) = \left\{ \begin{matrix}
x^2, & \mbox{if } x \leq a\\
x^3, & \mbox{if } x > a
\end{matrix}[/tex]

I don't know if functions defined like this are considered elementary, but in this case, [itex]f:\mathbb{R} \rightarrow \mathbb{R}[/itex]. I'm not sure from your original post if you are talking about the two functions, [itex]x^2[/itex] and [itex]x^3[/itex] being elementary, or the new function.

If you desperately don't want a piecewise function, you could try a Fourier Series, though I highly doubt that counts as elementary.

roger said:
I'm not sure I understand the relevance of your last comment about differentiability.

The elementary functions, and therefore any composition of them, are smooth, was his point. Your function is not smooth at a. Trying to work out the third derivatives at a from the left and right gives 0 and 6. These are not equal, the function is _at most_ twice differentiable, even assuming that you correct it so that it is continuous (a must be 0 or 1).

but does anybody understand my question? someone mentioned Fourier series so is this the way forward to express it?

Matt I read somewhere something along the lines that a function like x^3 can be differentiated as many times as one wishes is this correct? even once you get to 6.

That is not elementary...and quite unnecessary I would think..What is wrong with piecewise?

EDIT: In response to your last post, yes your pieces individually are infinitely differentiable, but put together they are not.

Everybody resists piecewise at first, but eventually they all give in.

roger said:
Matt I read somewhere something along the lines that a function like x^3 can be differentiated as many times as one wishes is this correct? even once you get to 6.

If you are not 100 percent certain of your answer to this question, you are probably to early on to worry about elementary vs. transcendental functions.

1. x^3 from R to R certainly is smooth.

2. Your function isn't x^3.

I echo Deadwolfe here - if you can't see these points, then why are you attempting to get someone to teach you Fourier analysis?

roger said:
"even once you get to 6" what?

f(x)= x3

f '(x)= 3x2

f '''(x)= 6x

f ''''(x)= 6

f '''''(x)= 0

f ''''''(x)= 0

f ''''''(x)= 0

"0" is a perfectly good value!

It's certainly the value I like best.

1. What is a function in science?

A function in science is a mathematical relationship between two or more variables, where one variable is dependent on the other. It describes how the dependent variable changes in response to changes in the independent variable.

2. How do you construct a function?

To construct a function, you need to identify the variables involved and the relationship between them. Then, you can use mathematical operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division to create an equation that represents the function.

3. What is the purpose of constructing a function?

The purpose of constructing a function is to understand and describe the relationship between variables. It allows scientists to make predictions and analyze data in a systematic and organized manner.

4. Can a function have more than two variables?

Yes, a function can have multiple variables, both dependent and independent. These variables can interact in complex ways, and constructing a function can help in understanding their relationships.

5. How do you test if a function is accurate?

To test if a function is accurate, you can plug in different values for the independent variable and see if the results match the expected outcomes. You can also compare the function to real-world data or previous experiments to check for consistency and validity.