Constructing a Physics Proof: Guidelines & Rules of Thumb

• Thread starter Jack21222
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, the conversation revolves around a question about constructing a proof for a physics class. The individual struggled with a proof involving firing a projectile at an object while it is simultaneously dropped. They spent 45 minutes on the problem and resorted to using trial-and-error to solve for variables. The conversation includes tips on how to approach proofs, such as thinking of the final equation and practicing. It also discusses the difficulty of proofs being a significant portion of the grade.
Jack21222
I hope I'm placing this in the right forum. This isn't a question about a specific problem, but rather a general question about constructing a proof as it relates to my first semester physics class.

When it comes to the "plug and chug" questions, I believe I did well on the first exam of the year, but a large chunk of the grade was creating a proof, and I struggled on that one. It had to do with firing a projectile at an object that is dropped at the same time the projectile is fired.

In my response, I either proved what I was supposed to, or I proved nothing at all. The worst part was I spent a good 45 minutes just solving for each of the variables in terms of the other variables, and was almost using trial-and-error to substitute variables to make things cancel.

So, my question is a general one: Are there any guidelines or rules of thumb to making a sensible proof? Any helpful hints of what steps I should take when presented with a proof?

Sorry I'm not more specific in my question. I know so little about proofs that I don't even know what I don't know. All I do know is I felt completely lost on that exam question, and I resorted to what felt like ad hoc cheap tricks to make equations fit.

Physics news on Phys.org
Jack21222 said:
It had to do with firing a projectile at an object that is dropped at the same time the projectile is fired.

In my response, I either proved what I was supposed to, or I proved nothing at all. The worst part was I spent a good 45 minutes just solving for each of the variables in terms of the other variables, and was almost using trial-and-error to substitute variables to make things cancel.

So, my question is a general one: Are there any guidelines or rules of thumb to making a sensible proof? Any helpful hints of what steps I should take when presented with a proof?

Hi Jack21222! :smile:

If the projectile was dropped from rest, then I think you just aim and fire … gravity does the rest. :wink:

If you spent 45 minutes, you probably had the wrong equations … they usually set exam questions that come out fairly easily and quickly …

the only general tip I can think of is, if it takes too long, then you're probably doing it wrong, so either

i] scrap what you've done, get a new piece of paper, and start afresh, or
ii] do a different question :smile:

My general tip for proving these sort of questions is to try and think of the final equation which the proof is for. For example, with the projectile and falling object, I assume that the proof is that if the projectile would hit the object without gravity then it would with gravity. The equation that comes to mind when I think of that situation is that when the x values of the objects are the same, the y values are also the same.
sy proj = sy obj when sx proj = sx obj
Then solve with relevant equations.

If the final equation is already given, I dunno, think of relevant equations, find the variables that link the equations to the final equation.
Practice helps a lot for these kind of questions as well.

tiny-tim said:
Hi Jack21222! :smile:

If the projectile was dropped from rest, then I think you just aim and fire … gravity does the rest. :wink:

If you spent 45 minutes, you probably had the wrong equations … they usually set exam questions that come out fairly easily and quickly …

the only general tip I can think of is, if it takes too long, then you're probably doing it wrong, so either

i] scrap what you've done, get a new piece of paper, and start afresh, or
ii] do a different question :smile:

Thanks for the responses.

First, he gave us 2 hours to solve 5 problems, so I don't think they were meant to come out that quick or easy.

Second, I know that "gravity does the rest," but I was struggling to put that into a mathematic proof.

In the end, I did what thepopasmurf suggested and tried proving that the y positions are the same when the distance between them is zero. I solved for time in the x-displacement formula in terms of x, then substituted that in for the t in the y-displacement formulas for the projectile and dropped object. I then set them equal to one another.

The "cheap trick" I used was then setting x, representing the distance between them in the x-direction to 0. When I do that, the y position of the projectile and dropped object are the same... But it also makes everything 0, so I may have proven nothing at all.

I also resorted to making the initial height of the projectile 0, by making that my origin, just to get rid of that irrelevant variable. I hope that is allowed.

I guess I just need more practice. I appreciate that the professor doesn't want us to get used to a slew of plug and chug problems, and wants us to think in terms of proofs and derivations, but it's tough, especially when it's 20% of our grade. :-p

1. What are the basic steps to construct a physics proof?

The basic steps to construct a physics proof are:

1. Clearly define the problem or question being addressed.
  2. Identify the relevant principles and equations that apply to the problem.
  3. Set up the necessary assumptions and boundary conditions.
  4. Use logical reasoning to manipulate the equations and principles to reach a conclusion.
  5. Check the units and make sure they are consistent throughout the proof.
  6. Present the final solution in a clear and concise manner.

2. What are some common mistakes to avoid when constructing a physics proof?

Some common mistakes to avoid when constructing a physics proof include:

• Not clearly defining the problem or question being addressed.
  • Using incorrect or irrelevant principles and equations.
  • Not setting up necessary assumptions and boundary conditions.
  • Skipping steps or not showing all the necessary logical reasoning.
  • Not checking units for consistency.
  • Presenting a poorly organized or confusing solution.

3. How can I make sure my physics proof is valid?

To ensure the validity of your physics proof, you should:

• Double-check all equations and principles used to make sure they are correct and relevant to the problem.
  • Ensure that all assumptions and boundary conditions are clearly stated and justified.
  • Carefully follow each step of the proof and show all logical reasoning.
  • Check the units for consistency throughout the proof.
  • Have someone else review your proof for any errors or inconsistencies.
  • Compare your solution to known solutions or use numerical methods to confirm the validity of your proof.

4. Can I use diagrams or illustrations in my physics proof?

Yes, diagrams and illustrations can be very helpful in explaining the problem and the steps of your proof. However, make sure that they are accurate and clearly labeled. Do not rely solely on diagrams to present your solution, as written logical reasoning is also necessary.

5. Are there any specific formatting guidelines for a physics proof?

While there may not be specific formatting guidelines, it is important to present your proof in a clear and organized manner. Use headings and subheadings to break up different sections or steps of the proof. Use equations and symbols consistently and label all diagrams and illustrations clearly. It may also be helpful to number your equations and steps for easier reference. Additionally, make sure to proofread your proof for any spelling or grammatical errors.