Constructing Field Lines for a Vector Field with Inverse Distance Dependence

In summary, the field lines of the vector field ##\vec F = (x^2+y^2)^{-1} (-y\hat x + x\hat y)## are horizontal circles centered around the z-axis, as shown by the equation ##\frac{y^4-x^4}{3} = 2xy\tau + c_2y-c_1x## after calculating dx/dy.
Incand

Homework Statement

Determine the field lines of the vector field ##\vec F = (x^2+y^2)^{-1} (-y\hat x + x\hat y)##

Homework Equations

Definition of a field line
##\frac{d\vec r (\tau ) }{d\tau } = C \vec F (\vec r (\tau )) ##

The Attempt at a Solution

From the above equation and choosing ##C=1## we get
\begin{cases}\frac{dx}{d\tau } = \frac{-y}{x^2+y^2}\\
\frac{dy}{d\tau } = \frac{x}{x^2+y^2}.
\end{cases}
Separation of variables yields
\begin{cases}
\frac{x^3}{3}+y^2x = -y\tau + c_1\\
\frac{y^3}{3} + x^2y = x\tau + c_2
\end{cases}
somehow this is supposed to tell me the field lines are "horizontal circles centered around the z-axis" but I don't see how. If i multiply the first equation by x and the second by y and substract i end up with
##\frac{y^4-x^4}{3} = 2xy\tau + c_2y-c_1x##
But i still don't see why that is a circle.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You can calculate dx/dy. That gives easier formulas.

Likes Incand
mfb said:
You can calculate dx/dy. That gives easier formulas.
Thanks got it now!

What is the purpose of constructing field lines?

The purpose of constructing field lines is to visualize and understand the direction and strength of a vector field. Field lines show the path that a point would take as it moves through the vector field, and can help in predicting the behavior of a system.

How do you construct field lines?

Field lines can be constructed by using a series of points or particles to trace the path of the vector field. These points should be placed in a way that represents the direction and magnitude of the vector at each point. Alternatively, mathematical equations can be used to calculate and plot the field lines.

What are the key components of a field line?

The key components of a field line are the direction, magnitude, and spacing of the arrows representing the vector field. The lines should also be smooth and continuous, without any abrupt changes in direction or magnitude.

How do you interpret a field line diagram?

A field line diagram can be interpreted by following the path of a single line or by looking at the overall pattern of the lines. The direction of the arrows indicates the direction of the vector field, while the spacing between the lines represents the strength of the field. The closer the lines are together, the stronger the field.

What are the limitations of field line construction?

There are several limitations to constructing field lines, including the fact that they can only represent a two-dimensional vector field. They also cannot accurately depict vector fields that change over time. Additionally, field lines may become too complex or crowded in areas with strong or variable vector fields, making interpretation more difficult.