1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Constructing states in SU(2)

1. Nov 5, 2015 #1

CAF123

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Construct the decompositions ##\mathbf 2 \otimes \mathbf 2 = \mathbf 3 \oplus \mathbf 1##, where ##\mathbf N## is the representation of su(2) with ##\mathbf N## states and thus spin j=1/2 (N-1).

2. Relevant equations
    Substates within a state labelled by j can take on values -j to j in integer steps

3. The attempt at a solution

I think I get the idea but was hoping someone could just make sure I understand things correctly.
    So we consider some states in the ##\mathbf 2## representation of SU(2), labelled as ##|j_1, m_1 \rangle## and take the tensor product of this with another state ##|j_2, m_2 \rangle##. If N=2, then j=1/2. So states are |1/2, 1/2> and |1/2,-1/2>, So out of these two states can form four possible tensor products. Take for example, $$|1/2, 1/2 \rangle \otimes |1/2, 1/2 \rangle$$ Then by Clebsch Gordan, possible states are ##|J.M\rangle## where ##|j_1 - j_2| < J < j_1 + j_2## and ##-J < M < J##? So the r.h.s is ##|0,0\rangle + |1,0\rangle + |1,-1 \rangle + |1,1\rangle## which is exactly those states in ##\mathbf 3 \oplus \mathbf 1##?

I am just wondering how the |0,0> state is part of ##\mathbf 3 \oplus \mathbf 1## on the r.hs? ##\mathbf 1## contains |0,0> but ##\mathbf 3## is always of the form ##|1,-1>, |1,0> ## or ##|1,1>##.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2015 #2

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You will need to use the angular momentum generators to solve this problem, specifically in the basis ##J_z, J_\pm##. You will have to determine the eigenstates of the total angular momentum ##J_i = J^{(1)}_i + J^{(2)}_i ## for the states of the form ##|j_1,m_1\rangle\otimes|j_2,m_2\rangle##. The properties under ##J_\pm## will tell you whether a state belongs to the singlet or triplet. For instance, you should find two eigenfunctions with ##J_z|j,m\rangle =0##. One eigenstate will satisfy ##J_\pm |j,m\rangle= 0##, but the other will give another eigenstate,

4. Nov 6, 2015 #3

CAF123

Gold Member

Hi fzero,
    Ok, so ##J_z |j,m\rangle = m |j, m \rangle## and ##J_{\pm} |j,m\rangle = \sqrt{(j \mp m)(j \pm m -1)} |j, m\pm 1 \rangle##. The two eigenfunctions with ##J_z |j,m\rangle = 0## are |0,0> and |1,0>. |0,0> satisfies ##J_{\pm} |0,0> = 0##, while ##J_{\pm} |1,0\rangle = \sqrt{2} |1, \pm 1 \rangle##. So acting with the ##J_{\pm}## operators on the |0,0> does not take you to another state in the representation labelled by j=0 (since there is no other state), so |0,0> is a singlet. Similarly, acting with the step operators on |1,0>, |1,-1> or |1,1> take us to another state within the representation labelled by j=1 with the property that ##J_{-} |1,-1\rangle =0## and ##J_{+} |1,1\rangle = 0##.

So I conclude that ##\mathbf 1 = \left\{|0,0\rangle \right\}## and ##\mathbf 3 = \left\{|1,-1 \rangle, |1,0 \rangle, |1,1\rangle \right\}##.

I am not seeing why this helps me to solve the decomposition problem ##\mathbf 2 \otimes \mathbf 2 = \mathbf 3 \oplus \mathbf 1##?
    Thanks!

5. Nov 6, 2015 #4

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You want to find the linear combinations of the product states ##|j_1,m_1\rangle\otimes|j_2,m_2\rangle## that are eigenstates of the total angular momentum. So you're going to solve
    $$ | j,m\rangle = \sum_{j_1,m_1;j_2,m_2} C^{jm}_{j_1 m_1 j_2 m_2} |j_1,m_1\rangle\otimes|j_2,m_2\rangle,$$
    where the coefficients are the Clebsch-Gordan coefficients. You already understand the algebra for the left-hand side of this, so now you want to work it out on the right-hand side.

6. Nov 6, 2015 #5

CAF123

Gold Member

I see, ok so I guess it would be best to work with the state ##|1,1\rangle = C|1/2, 1/2 \rangle \otimes |1/2, 1/2 \rangle## since then C=1 and subsequent states can be found by applying ##J_-## to this. But how does ##J_{-} (|1/2, 1/2 \rangle \otimes |1/2, 1/2 \rangle)## work? Do we apply the operator in turn to each of the states, like ##J_{-} (A \otimes B) = (J_{-}A) \otimes B + A \otimes (J_{-} B)##?

Thanks!

7. Nov 6, 2015 #6

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, and since the total angular momentum is ##J_i=J^{(1)}_i+J^{(2)}_i##, we can write this as ##J_{-} (A \otimes B) = (J_{-}^{(1)}A) \otimes B + A \otimes (J_{-}^{(2)} B)##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted