Constructing Nonlinear Well-Founded Orders

• Thread starter dirtybiscuit
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Set
In summary, the teacher's notes explain that any function ƒ : S→N can define a wellfounded order on S. Examples include lists being wellfounded by length, binary trees being wellfounded by various criteria, and ℤ being wellfounded by absolute value. The student is having trouble understanding how these orders are non-linear, specifically in the case of ℤ. They provide an example of the absolute value order and question if they are misunderstanding something, as it seems the elements are still comparable in this order. The teacher confirms that the usual ordering of ℤ is not relevant in this case.
dirtybiscuit

Homework Statement

My teacher has notes online that say:

A Simple Construction Technique for WellFounded Orders
Any function ƒ : S→N defines a wellfounded order on S by
x < y iff ƒ(x) < ƒ(y).

Example:
Lists are wellfounded by length. Binary trees are wellfounded by depth, by number of nodes, or by number of leaves. ℤ is wellfounded by absolute value.
Derivations for a grammar are wellfounded by length. These orders are nonlinear.

I am having trouble understanding how these are non-linear orders. Particularly "ℤ is wellfounded by absolute value". From my understanding a linear order is where each element in the set is comparable to the other elements of the set.

So for the abs of ℤ the order I think we get is:
0, -1, 1, -2, 2, -3, 3, ...

which seems like -1 < -2 < 3 and so on because of the way we defined it and thus they are comparable. Am I misunderstanding something in this?

Physics news on Phys.org
dirtybiscuit said:
which seems like -1 < -2 < 3 and so on because of the way we defined it and thus they are comparable.
Right.
The usual ordering of Z is not relevant here.

1. What is a well ordered set?

A well ordered set is a collection of elements where every non-empty subset has a least element. This means that there is a specific order in which the elements are arranged, and there is always a minimum element in every subset.

2. How is a well ordered set constructed?

A well ordered set can be constructed by following the axioms of well ordering, which state that the set must be totally ordered and every non-empty subset must have a least element. This can also be done by using the axiom of choice, which allows for the selection of one element from each non-empty subset.

3. What are some examples of well ordered sets?

Some examples of well ordered sets include the set of natural numbers, the set of real numbers, and the set of positive integers. These sets have a specific order and a minimum element in every subset.

4. How are well ordered sets used in mathematics?

Well ordered sets are used in mathematics to define and study different types of structures, such as ordinals and cardinals. They are also used in proofs and constructions of other mathematical objects, such as graphs and trees.

5. What is the importance of constructing well ordered sets?

Constructing well ordered sets is important in mathematics because it allows for the creation of ordered structures that are essential for many mathematical concepts and proofs. It also provides a foundation for understanding and working with more complex mathematical objects and structures.