1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Construction of a sequence

1. Nov 19, 2011 #1
    Hi,

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    V is a non-empty, upper bounded subset of R. Show that a sequence [tex](v_n)_{n \geq 0}[/tex] in V exists such that: 1)[tex]v_0 \leq v_1 \leq ...[/tex] and 2) the limit of the sequence is sup V. (Hint: use a recursive construction)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    V is non-empty and upper bounded so sup V exists.
    Suppose [tex]sup V \in V[/tex] Construct the sequence: sup V = v0 = v1...
    And I know how to go from there.

I'm having problems with the case: sup V is not in V.
    I was thinking of constructing the sequence:
    [tex]v_0 \in V[/tex]
    [tex] (v_n, supV) \subset (v_{n-1}, supV)[/tex]

But I'm not sure if this is right or how to proof that the limit of this sequence is sup V.
    Any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2011 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Let [itex]v_0[/itex] be any member of V. We can do this because V is non-empty.

The recursion step: for any [itex]v_i[/itex], [itex](sup V+ v_i)/2< sup(V)[/itex] and so is not an upper bound on V/. There must exist some [itex]v_{i+1}[/itex] in V such that [itex](v_i+ sup(V))/2< v_{i+1}[/itex]. That cuts the distance from the previous term to sup(V) in half on each step.

4. Nov 19, 2011 #3
    Thanks!

5. Nov 19, 2011 #4
    Sorry for the double post, but I came across another problem when writing it down. v(i+1) doesn't have to exist right? And there doesn't have to be a smallest v(i+1). So how would one formulate the sequence?

[tex] v_{i+1} \in [v_1, sup V) [/tex] perhaps?

Or is it enough to state v(i+1) exists and v(i+1) ? vi and v(i+1) is in V, to formulate a sequence?

Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
  6. Nov 20, 2011 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, [itex]v_{i+1}[/itex] by this method must exist: Since in this case we are assuming that sup(V) is not in V itself, our [itex](v_i+ sup(V))/2[/itex] is NOT sup(V) and so is not an upper bound for V. There must exist at least one member of V larger than [itex](v_i+ sup(V))/2[/itex]. I said nothing about [itex]v_{i+1}[/itex] being the smallest such member of V- choose any of them.

But it is not sufficient just to say that [itex]v_{i+1}[/itex] is some number in V larger than [itex]v_i[/itex]. That sequence would not necessarily converge to sup(V).

7. Nov 20, 2011 #6
    I understand. I have one final question.
    Nevermind, thanks :)

Last edited: Nov 20, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook