Construction of a sequence

• Thread starter Anoonumos
  • Start date
Hi,

Homework Statement

V is a non-empty, upper bounded subset of R. Show that a sequence [tex](v_n)_{n \geq 0}[/tex] in V exists such that: 1)[tex]v_0 \leq v_1 \leq ...[/tex] and 2) the limit of the sequence is sup V. (Hint: use a recursive construction)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

V is non-empty and upper bounded so sup V exists.
Suppose [tex]sup V \in V[/tex] Construct the sequence: sup V = v0 = v1...
And I know how to go from there.

I'm having problems with the case: sup V is not in V.
I was thinking of constructing the sequence:
[tex]v_0 \in V[/tex]
[tex] (v_n, supV) \subset (v_{n-1}, supV)[/tex]

But I'm not sure if this is right or how to proof that the limit of this sequence is sup V.
Any ideas?

Answers and Replies

HallsofIvy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Let [itex]v_0[/itex] be any member of V. We can do this because V is non-empty.

The recursion step: for any [itex]v_i[/itex], [itex](sup V+ v_i)/2< sup(V)[/itex] and so is not an upper bound on V/. There must exist some [itex]v_{i+1}[/itex] in V such that [itex](v_i+ sup(V))/2< v_{i+1}[/itex]. That cuts the distance from the previous term to sup(V) in half on each step.

Sorry for the double post, but I came across another problem when writing it down. v(i+1) doesn't have to exist right? And there doesn't have to be a smallest v(i+1). So how would one formulate the sequence?

[tex] v_{i+1} \in [v_1, sup V) [/tex] perhaps?

Or is it enough to state v(i+1) exists and v(i+1) ? vi and v(i+1) is in V, to formulate a sequence?

Last edited:
HallsofIvy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
No, [itex]v_{i+1}[/itex] by this method must exist: Since in this case we are assuming that sup(V) is not in V itself, our [itex](v_i+ sup(V))/2[/itex] is NOT sup(V) and so is not an upper bound for V. There must exist at least one member of V larger than [itex](v_i+ sup(V))/2[/itex]. I said nothing about [itex]v_{i+1}[/itex] being the smallest such member of V- choose any of them.

But it is not sufficient just to say that [itex]v_{i+1}[/itex] is some number in V larger than [itex]v_i[/itex]. That sequence would not necessarily converge to sup(V).

I understand. I have one final question.
Nevermind, thanks :)

Last edited: