Construction of a Timer Switch

In summary, the person plans to make a timer that will turn on their mosquito repellant for a set amount of time. They want to know how to do this safely.
Kaycee92
Hi,

I'd like to do a small design project. When I sleep, I switch on my mosquito repellant for about 8 hours. Sometimes I forget switching it off too. Such long durations are little poisonous and generally not required.

What I plan to do is to make a timer with a dial from 0 min to 60 min (like a clock). When the user sets a value (say 15), I want to switch the repellant on for 15 mins, off for the next 15 mins, on again for 15 mins, like that ..

Kindly let me know how I could do the same. Final device should be mounted on the switchboard.

Thanks,
Chaitanya

Engineering news on Phys.org
Do you have any experience at using microprocessors or building circuits using integrated circuits, without a printed circuit board?

Do you intend to use this with mains voltages?

One way is to use a micro like a Picaxe chip. This is a very easy way to do this.
You would just read an input voltage. relate this to the time required.
Make one pin of the chip go to 5 volts.
Wait the required time set by the input voltage.
Make the same pin 0 volts.
Wait the required time set by the input voltage.
Make one pin of the chip go to 5 volts.
and so on.

Another way is to make an oscillator that covers about 130 Hz to 1500 Hz.
Use a divider that divides by 16384
This would give a square wave whose period varied from 120 minutes (60 on, 60 off) to about 11 minutes (5.5 on and 5.5 off)

These two circuits give a voltage out which would be used to switch a transistor which switches a relay.
This would then turn on your mosquito repeller.
If it is toxic, why don't you use flyscreens on the windows, or mosquito netting over your bed?

However, if you have little experience and this does use mains voltages, you should look for a commercial product or seek help from someone who could guide you to do this safely.

Thanks! I'll see what I can do. :)

1. What is a timer switch?

A timer switch is a device that can be programmed to turn on or off at specific times. It is commonly used in buildings to control lighting, heating, and other electrical devices.

2. How does a timer switch work?

A timer switch typically consists of a timer mechanism and a switch mechanism. The timer mechanism keeps track of time and activates the switch mechanism at the programmed time, which then turns the connected device on or off.

3. What are the benefits of using a timer switch?

Timer switches offer several benefits, including energy efficiency, convenience, and security. They can help reduce energy consumption by automatically turning off devices when they are not needed. They also provide convenience by automating tasks and can enhance security by giving the appearance of someone being home.

4. Can a timer switch be used for outdoor lighting?

Yes, there are timer switches specifically designed for outdoor use. These switches are weather-resistant and can be programmed to turn on and off outdoor lights at specific times, providing convenience and security.

5. Are there different types of timer switches?

Yes, there are different types of timer switches, including mechanical, digital, and smart timer switches. Mechanical timer switches use a rotating dial to set the on and off times, while digital timer switches allow for more precise programming. Smart timer switches can be controlled remotely through a smartphone or voice assistant and offer advanced features such as scheduling and energy monitoring.