Construction of minimum norm solution matrix

In summary, we are tasked with finding a minimum norm solution for a linear system of equations where the matrix A is rank deficient. To do this, we can use the SVD of A to construct a full rank matrix B, where B^-1*b will give us the minimum norm solution. This can be achieved by replacing the zero singular values on Σ with non-zero values.
kalleC

Homework Statement

Consider the linear system of equations Ax = b b is in the range of A
Given the SVD of a random matrix A; construct a full rank matrix B for which the solution:
x = B^-1*b
is the minimum norm solution.

Also A is rank deficient by a known value and diagonalizable

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am completely clueless here. I know that due to rank deficiency some eigenvalues of A are zero and this has something to do with the corresponding left and righ singular vectors but I am clueless as to what. I have read through all our notes and can find nothing relating to this problem. Any hint to get me started would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear fellow scientist,

I understand your confusion and I am happy to provide some guidance to help you solve this problem.

Firstly, let's review the concept of rank deficiency. A matrix A is considered rank deficient if its rank is less than its number of columns or rows. This means that A is not invertible and there are infinitely many solutions to the system Ax = b. However, we can still find a minimum norm solution to this system by using the SVD (Singular Value Decomposition) of A.

The SVD of a matrix A is given by A = UΣV^T, where U and V are orthogonal matrices and Σ is a diagonal matrix with the singular values of A on its diagonal. Since A is rank deficient, it means that there are at least one or more zero singular values on Σ.

Now, to construct a full rank matrix B for which the solution x = B^-1*b is the minimum norm solution, we need to use the pseudo-inverse of A. The pseudo-inverse of A is given by A^+ = VΣ^+U^T, where Σ^+ is the pseudo-inverse of Σ. The pseudo-inverse of Σ can be obtained by taking the reciprocal of all non-zero singular values on Σ and then taking the transpose. This means that if there are any zero singular values on Σ, they will remain as zeros on Σ^+.

Therefore, to construct B, we can simply replace the zero singular values on Σ with non-zero values. This will result in a full rank matrix B, and when we solve for x using the equation x = B^-1*b, we will get the minimum norm solution.

I hope this helps to get you started on solving this problem. Good luck!

1. What is the minimum norm solution matrix?

The minimum norm solution matrix is a mathematical tool used in linear algebra to find the solution to a system of linear equations. It is a matrix that minimizes the Euclidean norm of the error between the actual solution and the estimated solution. In other words, it is the closest possible solution to the system of equations.

2. How is the minimum norm solution matrix calculated?

The minimum norm solution matrix is calculated using a technique called the Moore-Penrose pseudoinverse. This involves finding the inverse of the matrix and then taking the transpose of that inverse. The resulting matrix is the minimum norm solution matrix.

3. What is the significance of the minimum norm solution matrix?

The minimum norm solution matrix is significant because it provides a unique solution to a system of equations that may not have a unique solution otherwise. It also allows for the least squares method to be used in cases where the system is overdetermined (more equations than unknowns).

4. Can the minimum norm solution matrix be used for non-linear systems?

No, the minimum norm solution matrix can only be used for linear systems. Non-linear systems do not have a unique solution and therefore cannot be solved using the minimum norm solution matrix.

5. How is the minimum norm solution matrix used in practical applications?

The minimum norm solution matrix is used in a variety of practical applications, such as data fitting, image processing, and control systems. It is also commonly used in statistics to find the best fit line for a set of data points. It is a powerful tool for solving linear systems in a variety of fields.