Can wavepackets be used to solve ODEs in Hilbert spaces?

In summary, the conversation discusses a suggested approach for solving a differential equation in Hilbert space with a real solution. The conditions for real solutions are according to Kreyszig's Functional Analysis, and the process involves using the Hamiltonian operator and constructing wavepackets. The conversation also delves into using plane waves as a generalized basis for solving the problem and the concept of expanding Hilbert-space vectors with respect to a chosen basis.
SemM
Gold Member
Hi, it was suggested previously on PF by others that a way to solve a ODE where the domain of the operator in Hilbert space allowed a real solution, is through the construction of wavepackets.

The conditions for real solutions are according to Kreyszig's Functional Analysis that E, in the following equation ( HY=EY), is in the resolvent set of the Hamiltonian operator.

I would like to ask for confirmation of that this is the right approach:

1. Having ##H\psi = E\psi##, one solves the equation with E treated as a constant first. One uses no initial conditions. The true form of the energy is ## E= \frac{h^2k^2}{8\pi^2m}## . The solution is here now called ##\eta(q)##

2. Following Kreyszig's book on this, I quote

"The solution ##\eta(q)## can now be used to represent any ##\psi \in L ^2(-\infty,+\infty)## as a wave packet in the form:

\begin{equation}
\psi(q) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}} \lim_{a\rightarrow \infty} \int_{-a}^{a}\phi(k)\eta(q)dk
\end{equation}

where\begin{equation}
\phi(k) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}} \lim_{a\rightarrow \infty} \int_{-a}^{a} \psi(q)\eta(q)dq
\end{equation}

Should this be exercised on the solution :

\begin{equation}
\eta(q) = e^{-2i\gamma q} + 3/4 + \frac{i\hbar}{2\gamma}
\end{equation}

How would the integral and thus the wavepacket look like? Based on what is in the book, I am not sure on what to make out of ##\phi(k)## and ##\psi(q)##, basically, how does one find these two auxiliary functions?

Hope this question was clear

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I've no clue what you book wants to tell me.

The most simple way to solve this problem along the line that might be what's explained in your book is to use plane waves, i.e., momentum eigenstates as a generalized basis (in the Heisenberg picture using natural units with ##\hbar=1##):
$$u_{\vec{p}}(t,\vec{x})=\langle \vec{x}|\vec{p},t \rangle=\frac{1}{(2 \pi)^{3/2}} \exp \left (-\frac{\mathrm{i} \vec{p}^2}{2m} t + \mathrm{i} \vec{p} \cdot \vec{x} \right ).$$
Then the general wave function, representing a pure state of a free particle, is given by a wave packet, i.e., it must be square integrable:
$$\psi(t,\vec{x})=\int_{\mathbb{R}^3} \mathrm{d}^3 \vec{p} u_{\vec{p}}(t,\vec{x}) \tilde{\psi}(\vec{p}),$$
where ##\tilde{\psi}(\vec{p})## is an arbitrary square-integrable function (normalized conveniently to 1, because then also the wave packet is normalized to 1).

Likes SemM
Thanks this was indeed very useful! I will use it further with my reading here. Thanks van Hees

vanhees71 said:
Then the general wave function, representing a pure state of a free particle, is given by a wave packet, i.e., it must be square integrable:
$$\psi(t,\vec{x})=\int_{\mathbb{R}^3} \mathrm{d}^3 \vec{p} u_{\vec{p}}(t,\vec{x}) \tilde{\psi}(\vec{p}),$$
where ##\tilde{\psi}(\vec{p})## is an arbitrary square-integrable function (normalized conveniently to 1, because then also the wave packet is normalized to 1).

Does this only work for linear Hermitian Hamiltonians? I have the feeling a non-linear Hamltonian needs a different approach, because the wave is not harmonic as the linear wave is, and is rather anharmonic. Or am I mistaking?

Last edited:
You can expand any Hilbert-space vector with respect to any (generalized) basis you like, e.g., with respect to the momentum eigenbasis. This is independent of the Hamiltonian. Whether the choice of the basis is a good one in the sense to solve the eigenvalue problem for the Hamiltonian (stationary states) or the time evolution of the system is another question.

Likes SemM
vanhees71 said:
You can expand any Hilbert-space vector with respect to any (generalized) basis you like, e.g., with respect to the momentum eigenbasis. This is independent of the Hamiltonian. Whether the choice of the basis is a good one in the sense to solve the eigenvalue problem for the Hamiltonian (stationary states) or the time evolution of the system is another question.

Thanks van Hees!

1. What is a wavepacket?

A wavepacket is a mathematical concept that describes a localized group of waves with a specific amplitude and phase. It is often used to represent a particle in quantum mechanics, where the wavepacket describes the probability of the particle's position and momentum.

2. How is a wavepacket constructed?

A wavepacket is constructed by combining multiple waves with different frequencies, phases, and amplitudes. This can be done using mathematical operations such as Fourier transforms or superposition, depending on the specific application.

3. What is the purpose of constructing wavepackets?

The purpose of constructing wavepackets is to model and analyze the behavior of particles in quantum mechanics. By creating a wavepacket, scientists can better understand the probability of a particle's location and movement, as well as its energy and momentum.

4. What are the key factors that affect the construction of wavepackets?

The key factors that affect the construction of wavepackets include the frequencies, phases, and amplitudes of the component waves, as well as the type of mathematical operations used to combine them. The initial conditions and properties of the particle being modeled may also play a role.

5. Are there any real-life applications of wavepacket construction?

Yes, wavepacket construction is used in various fields, such as quantum mechanics, optics, and signal processing. It is also utilized in technologies such as lasers, telecommunications, and medical imaging. Additionally, the concept of wavepackets has been applied to other areas of physics, such as fluid dynamics and acoustics.