Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Contact by carl sagan

1. Jan 1, 2008 #1
    "contact" by carl sagan

I hear they are showing Cosmos by carl sagan again on tv but something else of carl sagan's worth knowing about is his novel "contact".
    If you don't have time to read the book watch the film starring Jodie Foster and Mathew McConnaughey - it is awesome, and the best film I have ever seen that deals with the religion versus science debate.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 1, 2008 #2
    Ewwwugh. Contact was O.K. You should watch more movies then!
  4. Jan 1, 2008 #3
    Contact is one of those rare movies that inspired people more, rather than entertained.
  5. Jan 2, 2008 #4
    I watched Contact back when I was a kid. Only vaguely remember the science vs. religion issue. Too bad, since these days studying religion is basically my full-time hobby outside of physics. I guess as a fourteen year old I was more interested in the whole space ship blowing up on the launchpad part.

So who won? God, or the sons of man? :rofl:
  6. Jan 2, 2008 #5
    I didn't like the movie at all. It tried to address a real situation using a very unrealistic scenario. Also, the ending was incredibly lame.
  7. Jan 2, 2008 #6
    I liked the movie, the book was excellent

I think the space odyssey series was even better
  8. Jan 2, 2008 #7

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The book is much better than the movie. And it has a much better ending.
    The original version of the film used the same ending as the book, but was changed before the official release since the test audiences were complaining (the "real" ending is more "anti-belief")
  9. Jan 3, 2008 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I never read the book but I loved the movie.

Best lines:
    They should have sent a poet.
    Why build one when you can build two for twice the price?
    Wanna take a ride!?!?!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?