Cooling Steel Die for Contact Cooling of Aluminium - Advice Needed

In summary, Lewis is designing a contact cooling system for aluminum. He is looking for advice on where to start, and is stressed out because the project is more complicated than he thought.
Lewisjamesfc
Hi,

I am designing a system to cool aluminium through contact cooling. I have a steel die with
9x 20mm diameter cooling chambers. Water is pumped through the chambers which cools the steel die and hopefully the aluminium sitting on top of it.

I am looking to find the temperature of the water needed to cool the steel at a rate of 100C / s. Obviously this is much more complicated than a standard convection and conduction equations. I was just looking for some advice on where to start.

Thanks,
Lewis ( A stressed student )

Engineering news on Phys.org
Please tell us some more about this problem .

A sketch of the aluminium component and the die would be helpful .

Nidum said:
Please tell us some more about this problem .

A sketch of the aluminium component and the die would be helpful .

Yeah sorry, I have attached a diagram of the system and drawn the aluminium part to the side but it would normally sit on top of the shaded tool steel die inside the base that has the chambers.

Basically the aluminium is placed in the die at 550 degrees c which should then be cooled by transferring the heat to the water traveling through the base (in Theory) by 100C per second.

BASE:
L=340mm
H=100mm
W= 500mm

DIE:
L=340mm
H=50mm
W=410mm

COOLING CHAMBERS:
L=340mm
D=25mm

ALUMINIUM
L=340mm
W=410mm
H=5mm

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks,
Lewis

Attachments

• Heat transfer diagram.pdf
    408 KB · Views: 310
You specify an initial maximum rate of cooling as 100°C/sec, but not what temperature it must fall to before the Al is removed from contact with the die. That will decide the contact time with the die and therefore the heat that must be removed from the die by the water.

The best heat transfer would be when the Al was clamped between two such cold steel dies. The moment clamping pressure is removed the rate of heat loss will be reduced by the air gap that will form as the Al changes radius by differential cooling.

Flow of heat from the Al to the water through the tool and cast steel will be slow compared with the rate of Al cooling, so it will be the mass of the cold tool steel in the die that cools the Al. For that reason the die will probably need to be cooled continuously. You will be limited to a cycle time by the heat content of the Al and the rate of heat removal in the water. If the process cycle repeats then the internal temperature of the die should be monitored so as to prevent over heating of the die. A hotter die will not rapidly cool the Al.

1. At what temperature can the Al be removed from the die?
2. How much thermal energy must be removed from the Al to drop the Al temperature from 550°C to the removal temperature?

What is the goal of this apparatus? What is causing the aluminum to become hot and why?

Why was steel chosen? Can you use another material for the cooling block?

BoB

rbelli1 said:
What is the goal of this apparatus? What is causing the aluminum to become hot and why?

Why was steel chosen? Can you use another material for the cooling block?

BoB
Hi, thanks for replying.

A furnace, to change the micro structure.

I have simplified it, into steps and hopefully you might be able to help

Consider two pieces of metal, one at 550C and one at 25C. When they come into contact how would I calculate the temperature of the cold body after 2 seconds?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks, Lewis

If the shape of the die is not imparting any physical change to the aluminum I would suggest using an oil or water bath to alter the temperature.

BoB

rbelli1 said:
If the shape of the die is not imparting any physical change to the aluminum I would suggest using an oil or water bath to alter the temperature.

BoB
Ah okay thank you for your help!

How a particular plate cools and how heat is transferred to the die will be determined by several different factors including some completely random ones .

The reality is that every time you cool a plate by this method the results will be different .

Please tell us more about what you actually want to achieve in this part of your work .

Last edited:

1. How does cooling steel die affect the contact cooling of aluminum?

Cooling steel die is an essential component in the contact cooling process of aluminum. It helps to reduce the temperature of the aluminum material, making it easier to handle and increasing its strength and durability. The cooling process also prevents thermal deformation and ensures uniform cooling of the aluminum material.

2. What is the best method for cooling steel die for contact cooling of aluminum?

The best method for cooling steel die depends on various factors such as the type of steel, the size of the die, and the desired cooling rate. Some common methods include water cooling, air cooling, and oil cooling. It is essential to choose the most suitable method based on the specific requirements of the aluminum material and the cooling time needed.

3. How important is the cooling rate in the contact cooling of aluminum?

The cooling rate plays a crucial role in the contact cooling of aluminum. It affects the properties of the final product, such as its strength, hardness, and dimensional stability. A slower cooling rate can result in a softer and more ductile product, while a faster cooling rate can lead to a harder and more brittle product. It is essential to control the cooling rate to achieve the desired properties for the aluminum material.

4. What are the common challenges in cooling steel die for contact cooling of aluminum?

One of the common challenges in cooling steel die is achieving uniform cooling across the entire surface. Non-uniform cooling can result in uneven properties of the aluminum material, leading to defects in the final product. Another challenge is preventing thermal deformation of the die due to temperature differences and ensuring the die's durability and longevity.

5. How can I optimize the cooling process for the contact cooling of aluminum?

To optimize the cooling process, it is essential to consider various factors such as the type of steel die, cooling method, cooling rate, and the specific requirements of the aluminum material. Conducting trials and experiments can help determine the most effective cooling process for a particular application. Regular maintenance and monitoring of the cooling process also play a crucial role in optimizing the process and ensuring consistent and high-quality results.