1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Contact Force homework

1. Sep 27, 2006 #1
    I'm really confused about this problem -

As shown in Figure 5-22, a force of magnitude 7.50 N pushes three boxes with masses m1 = 1.30 kg, m2 = 3.30 kg, and m3 = 5.10 kg.

[​IMG]

(a) Find the magnitude of the contact force between boxes 1 and 2.
    (b) Find the magnitude of the contact force between boxes 2 and 3.

So F=7.5N. First you need to find the acceleration right? So I got a=F/m and did 7.5/(1.3+3.3) for part a. That gave me 1.63. I multiplied that with 3.3 because that's the mass of the second box and got a contact force of 5.379N but it's telling me that it's not right. If anyone could help I'd really appreciate it

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2006 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

What happened to the third mass?

4. Sep 27, 2006 #3
    I'm confused about how I work that in there...I was kind of doing the problem as if the third one wasn't there which is wrong. So I do 7.5/(1.3+3.3+5.1) to get a? And then once I have a how do I find the contact force?

5. Sep 27, 2006 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

You apply Newton's 2nd law: First to the entire 3-block system, to find a. Then to each mass separately, to find the contact forces. (Realize that the F in F = ma is the net force.)

6. Sep 28, 2006 #5
    Ahh, I figured it out, thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?