What is the Radius of Curvature of the Outer Surface of a Contact Lens?

In summary, the problem involves finding the radius of curvature of the outer surface of a contact lens with given parameters such as index of refraction, focal length, and inner surface radius of curvature. Using the thin lens equation, it is possible to solve for the radius of curvature of the outer surface by setting both R's as positive and solving for R1. The final answer is 1.768 cm.
rabar789
[SOLVED] Contact Lenses Problem

Homework Statement

A contact lens is made of plastic with an index of refraction of 1.58. The lens has a focal length of +26.0 cm, and its inner surface has a radius of curvature of +20.0 mm. What is the radius of curvature of the outer surface?

Homework Equations

The "thin lens equation"
1/f = (n-1)(1/R1 - 1/R2)

The Attempt at a Solution

This seems like a basic, out-of-the-book problem at first glance, but I can't get it. I've tried it several times, solving for R1 and R2 because I don't know which radius of curvature the 20.0 mm is. I think my main problems are probably sign errors and where to put the 20.0 mm (I don't know the rules for sign conventions in lenses, etc). Could someone point me in the right direction? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind, I figured out my answer; I might as well post the solution here for reference for others!

1/f = (n-1)(1/R1 - 1/R2)
(In this case, both R's should be positive.)
0.038 = (0.58)(1/R1 - 1/2)
0.038 = (0.58/R1) - 0.29
(Solve for R1)
R1 = 1.768 cm

Contact Lenses Problem [SOLVED]

After reviewing the given information and the thin lens equation, it seems that the 20.0 mm radius of curvature is for the inner surface of the lens. Since the focal length is positive, the lens is converging and therefore the outer surface should have a negative radius of curvature. Using this information, we can rearrange the thin lens equation to solve for R2:

1/R2 = (1/f - 1/R1)/(n-1)

Plugging in the given values, we get:

1/R2 = (1/0.26 - 1/0.02)/(1.58-1)

Simplifying, we get:

1/R2 = (1.58/0.52)/0.58

1/R2 = 3.04

R2 = 1/3.04 = 0.33 cm or 3.3 mm

Therefore, the radius of curvature of the outer surface of the contact lens is approximately 3.3 mm.

What are contact lenses and how do they work?

Contact lenses are small, thin lenses that are placed directly on the surface of the eye to correct vision. They work by bending and focusing light as it enters the eye, allowing for clear vision.

What are the common problems associated with wearing contact lenses?

Some common problems with contact lenses include dry eyes, discomfort, and infections. It is important to follow proper hygiene and care instructions to avoid these issues.

Can contact lenses cause vision problems?

In general, contact lenses do not cause vision problems. However, if they are not fitted properly or if they are not taken care of properly, they can cause temporary vision problems such as blurry vision or eye irritation.

What should I do if I experience discomfort while wearing contact lenses?

If you experience discomfort while wearing contact lenses, it is important to remove them immediately and consult with your eye doctor. It could be a sign of an underlying issue or simply due to dryness or an incorrect fit.

Can contact lenses be worn while swimming or showering?

No, it is not recommended to wear contact lenses while swimming or showering. The lenses can absorb bacteria and chemicals from the water, increasing the risk of eye infections. It is best to remove them before getting in the water.