Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Contact lenses?

1. Jul 16, 2007 #1
    Which contact lenses do you like the most? For me it's 'Day and Night' although I take it out in the night just to let the eyes breathe better.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 16, 2007 #2

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't wear contacts any more, but when I did I used Acu-View I think. I just wore the normal ones, not the day and night ones.

I'm actually glad I switched back to glasses. I think they are easier to deal with, and they make me look smarter than I actually am.:biggrin:

4. Jul 16, 2007 #3
    geez.. contact lenses are no no for me!! glasses are on 15hours a day.. besides i look smarter in glasses!!!! lolzzz

5. Jul 16, 2007 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I won't wear contact lenses. I also prefer men with glasses.

6. Jul 16, 2007 #5
    :cool::cool:i told ya. glasses are cool:cool::cool:

7. Jul 16, 2007 #6
    I've used Acuvu Dailies for five years after having worn glasses for three years. The dailies were nice because I put in a new pair everyday and they were very thin and comfortable. Best of all, there was no cleaning required.

Last month I switched to Night and Days. I can keep them in comfortably for about a week, then let them sit in the solution overnight. Sometimes, though, I clean them twice a week. Overall, they work as promised and I like being able to sleep in them. I would accidentally fall asleep in my old dailies and my eyes would get all red and irritated.

8. Jul 16, 2007 #7

turbo

Gold Member

I wore contacts for a while - the young lady optometrist at the opthalmic practice that I worked at (as a board-certified optician, and network administrator) was always after me to try new contacts, some of which were designed with astigmatic correction built in. Since I was an employee, and was willing to be a guinea pig (at times), I tried a lot of different contacts - soft, hard, gas-permeable, disposable ... you name it. Ultimately, I went back to glasses full-time and am happy that I did. I spent a lot of time during that period kayaking pretty serious white-water, and though I never lost well-fitted contacts while rolling, I became concerned about bacterial/amoebal infections and sometimes had problems with pollen getting between my contacts and cornea during spring run-off. I like my eyes too much. Glasses for me.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2007
  9. Jul 16, 2007 #8
    Me too. Then I stopped wearing them. I wore glasses for 8 years prior to that, and always had headaches, very often. Same with the contacts. I realized I can see fine without any of the two, and now my head is fine, yay! Oh, and don't say some BS about "You had the wrong prescription", umm, yeah, no. That may be the case for some people, but I've never had glasses that didn't cause headaches. Without anything I can see more than well enough to pass the test at the DMV.

EDIT: It may be important to say that I'm farsighted.

10. Jul 16, 2007 #9

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Due to a condition called Keratoconus I have to wear rigid gas permeable contacts. How I wish I could wear glasses full time. I currently have a pair of glasses for house wear, but these are not glasses that make you look smart or cool, they just make me look blind. :yuck:

I generally wear my contacts any where from 15 to 20hrs a day. My insurance is such that I am able to replace a single contact each year or get a pair of glasses. :yuck::yuck:

To add insult to injury, my near vision with contacts in is so bad that I must wear reading glasses. Without my contacts, I can read fine, as long as the page is 5cm from my nose!

11. Jul 16, 2007 #10

turbo

Gold Member

That sucks! That is a VERY difficult condition to correct with either contacts or glasses. It's very difficult to get contacts properly fitted (physically), and even with the most advanced refractions and a detailed prescription, the optician's chances of figuring you a good set of lenses are iffy at best.

Since I worked for an ophthalmology practice (as opposed to an optometry practice), I had some very tough challenges as an optician. Congenital deformities of the eye that were not symmetric were some of the toughest. Some of the worst ones were conditions in which there was significant vertical "wedge" in the prescription. Even a slight misalignment in the figuring of the lenses or the assembly of the eyeglasses could cause the patient significant discomfort. Those of us with "imperfect" vision amounting to a couple of diopters of correction and a bit of astigmatism and maybe a bit of presbyopia should count ourselves very lucky.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2007
  12. Jul 16, 2007 #11

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I wear glasses, but try to limit the length of time. They're pretty lightweight and thin, at least, so they're not too much of a bother.

I'm going to be getting wavefront LASIK later this summer. I can't wait.

- Warren

13. Jul 16, 2007 #12
    Let me know how that goes, Im thinking about Laser surgery in the future. Not because I dont like wearing glasses, but because I find my eyes getting worse and worse as my prescription
    becomes stronger and stronger.

14. Jul 16, 2007 #13

I don't like glasses because of its heaviness on the nose which makes it very sore. There is also a general feeling of discomfort wearing glasses as it wraps around you ears.

Do people find this problem or have I been using glasses that are too cheap?
    I am -5.0 so the lens is usually pretty thick.

They say the problem I mentioned wouldn't happen as much if one started wearing glasses when they were little. True? I started wearing glasses when I was 18, contacts prior to that. Switched back to contacts after a year and half of discomfort. A bit too late to get use to glasses?

Turbo, since you are an expert in the field, why don't you get laser treatment? Is the risk still too high? Or because of side effects? Or does the afraid of the eyes being short or long sighted again after laser treatment?
    Do you think contacts damage your eyes in some way?

What do you think of Night and Day compared to other brands?

15. Jul 16, 2007 #14
    I am almost -5.0, and my glasses are not heavy. I started wearing classes when I was around 16, but they progressively got worse from about -1.25 to where they are today.

16. Jul 16, 2007 #15
    So you think the Night and Day are better then all the other contacts?
    Don't you think your Night and Day would last longer and better if you didn't wear them to sleep?

17. Jul 16, 2007 #16
    My glasses prescription is -10.0, so no frame looks good on me. Contacts all the way (and I can see sharper out of them as well).

18. Jul 16, 2007 #17

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I've got keratoconus too :frown:

The RGP lenses are extremely irritating to wear. It usually took up to 20 mins just to put them on for me, and the most I could wear them was for 10 hours. I stopped wearing them after 3-4 months, and switched to glasses.

Luckily, it's progressing slowly for me, so I'm still able to see adequately without glasses/contact.

Integral, have you heard about the new collagen cross-linking treatment for keratoconus? I think they drop riboflavin into the cornea and shine uv rays, which strengthens the cornea and flattens it. Some published studies show that this method is quite safe and effective.

19. Jul 16, 2007 #18
    :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

20. Jul 17, 2007 #19

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

One of my friends got Lasik done and has been very happy with the outcome (he couldn't see much of anything without his glasses, so that's why he decided to take the chance on it). He spent a lot of time researching the right person to do it. Lasik can be a great option, but it's definitely worth paying the extra for a good doctor and carefully researching that it is a good doctor. He requires no corrective lenses at all now, and had it done in both eyes, no complications. You want to make sure you find someone who has done a lot of procedures on their current equipment (doesn't matter if they've done a lot of procedures if they just got new equipment they are still getting used to using) and good success rates.

21. Jul 17, 2007 #20
    They're thicker than other contacts, which, at first, irritated my eyelids since they were used to my thinner Acuvus. It depends on what you're looking for. For me, I wanted a pair I could sleep in mainly because 1) I want to be able to see if I need to get up in the middle of the night or if there's an emergency or something, and 2) I like to take short naps after classes and I would find it annoying to have to take my 24-hour pair out and put them back in after my nap. Sleeping with them in obviously doesn't let me eyes breathe well. I was just always in the habit of not fussing with my dailies. I would put a pair in and take them out. I never had to clean them or let them sit in solution.

As for lasting longer, the lenses are only rated for up to 1 month of wear, so I'm not trying to extend their lifetimes anyway (unless you can only keep them in for, say, three weeks instead of four). I suppose you could take them out before sleeping, but that was my objective in getting them the entire time. It varies per person.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?