Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Contact Lenses

1. Oct 25, 2005 #1
    Is it okay to wear more than one in each/either eye?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2005 #2

Phobos

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, it won't kill you, unless you're trying to drive a car at the same time.

I imagine the optics wouldn't work properly, but even if the optics were ok, I suspect that the lens wouldn't sit properly and would slide and/or irritate your eye.

Of course, why would you want to? The broad range of possible lens types can cover most needs.

However, some people do wear lenses AND use reading glasses in addition to that.

Anyway, seems like a harmless experiment to try out...again, provided you're not driving a car at the same time. :)

4. Oct 25, 2005 #3
    Well somebody said this:

It's not safe. period. i use to do it but then i stopped because many people said that it didn't allow enough oxygen to reach your eyes therefore it can lead to infections and such. you can do it, but you it will have effects. Once in a while is ok, but on a daily basis it's dangerous and can have long term effects. Your eyes are very valuable don't make a mistake please.

5. Oct 25, 2005 #4
    (asking for cosmetic purposes)

6. Oct 25, 2005 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Why don't you ask your eye doctor? That would be the best way to find out what's okay or not for your eyes. We can't give you medical advice here.

7. Oct 25, 2005 #6
    there is potetial damage due to oxygen restriction, but this depends on the typ of contact as well as duration of use (soft lenses will work better) though generally its not a great idea to do this daily, and especially not to sleep in them, as some soft lenses allow when worn without another pair

eye doctor response- (dont do it, it can damage your eyes...oxygen...bad...the end)

8. Nov 1, 2005 #7
    I'm not sure why it happens but I get blood shot eyes if I get too much vitamin E (even taking vitamins causes this). Has anyone ever heard of this before?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?