Contact Resistance Homework: Aluminium Contacts & Silicon Wafer

Your Name]In summary, the question asks for the resistance of a 1um^2 contact between aluminium and p-doped silicon that has been implanted into a 200mm wafer at a doping concentration of 7X10^15. To calculate this, we first need to determine the sheet resistance of the implanted silicon using the given information. Then, we can use the equation Rc = Pc/A to calculate the contact resistance, which will be in units of ohms. To determine if the contact is ohmic, we can compare the calculated resistance to the sheet resistance. If the contact resistance is significantly lower, it is likely ohmic, but if it is similar or higher, it may not be ohmic.
Obelisk

Homework Statement

Aluminium contacts {100} p-doped silicon (10ohm/square) which has been implanted into a 200mm wafer (1 mm thick) by 100keV phosphorus at 7X10^15. What will be the resistance of a 1um^2 contact and will it be ohmic?

Homework Equations

Rc = Pc/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I determined Pc = thickness X Sheet Resistance

But then, when I apply the given equation to obtain Rc, I am not getting answers in ohm-cm2 which should be the units of Rc.

If I can get help with finding Rc, I can figure out if it is ohmic or not but I am stuck here. Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. In order to calculate the resistance of a 1um^2 contact, we first need to determine the sheet resistance of the implanted silicon. This can be calculated using the given information about the doping concentration (7X10^15) and the thickness of the wafer (1 mm). Once we have the sheet resistance, we can use the equation you provided, Rc = Pc/A, to calculate the contact resistance.

However, it is important to note that the units of Rc will not be in ohm-cm2, but rather in ohms. This is because the sheet resistance (Pc) is already in units of ohms per square, so when we divide it by the area (A) of the contact (1 um^2), we will simply get the resistance in ohms.

To determine if the contact is ohmic, we can compare the calculated resistance to the sheet resistance of the implanted silicon. If the contact resistance is significantly lower than the sheet resistance, then it is likely that the contact is ohmic. However, if the contact resistance is similar or higher than the sheet resistance, then it may not be ohmic.

I hope this helps. If you have any further questions or need clarification, please don't hesitate to ask. Good luck with your calculations!

What is contact resistance and why is it important in aluminium contacts and silicon wafers?

Contact resistance is the resistance that arises when two conductive materials come into contact with each other. In the case of aluminium contacts and silicon wafers, it is important because it can affect the efficiency and performance of electronic devices. Higher contact resistance can lead to increased power consumption and decreased signal transmission, which can impact the overall functionality of the device.

How is contact resistance measured in aluminium contacts and silicon wafers?

Contact resistance can be measured by using a four-point probe method, which involves passing a known current through the contact and measuring the voltage drop. The resistance value is then calculated using Ohm's law.

What factors can affect contact resistance in aluminium contacts and silicon wafers?

There are several factors that can affect contact resistance, including surface roughness, material properties, surface contaminants, and contact force. In the case of aluminium contacts and silicon wafers, material properties and surface contaminants are the most significant factors.

How can contact resistance be minimized in aluminium contacts and silicon wafers?

To minimize contact resistance, it is important to ensure that the contact surfaces are clean and free of any contaminants. Additionally, using materials with similar properties and applying an appropriate amount of contact force can also help reduce contact resistance.

What are the potential consequences of high contact resistance in aluminium contacts and silicon wafers?

High contact resistance can lead to decreased device performance, increased power consumption, and potential device failure. It can also result in higher operating temperatures and reduced lifespan of the device. Therefore, it is important to keep contact resistance at a minimum for optimal device functionality.