1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Contact surface - term

  1. Apr 24, 2012 #1
    Contact surface -- term

    Hello everyone!
    Help me please with selecting a correct term.
    The situation is as follows:

    There is a valve, which has a body and a bonnet.
    There is a joint that connects the body to the bonnet.
    There is a contacting surface on the bonnet flange and body flange that is used for sealing the inner cavity of the valve.
    This surface looks like an annulus, or a ring and we have the area, inner diameter and outer diameter of it.
    If translated from Russian it may sound as "sealing girdle", or "Sealing band".
    Could it be "seal face"?

    Could you please name the term that is used in the U.S.?
    Hope, I made myself clear.

    Thank you!
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2012 #2
    Re: Contact surface -- term

    seal face makes the most sense to me.
  4. Apr 24, 2012 #3
    Re: Contact surface -- term

    Thank you.
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook