Contact Transformation Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a contact transformation for an infinitesimal segment of a curve in a 2-D space with a new slope, while preserving the derivatives of the original curve. The term "contact transformation" refers to a type of transformation where derivatives are preserved. The conversation also mentions the importance of checking for consistency and graphing the original and transformed curves.
neelakash

Homework Statement

If an infinitesimal segment of a curve (dy,dx) in a 2-D space, having a slope p, is transformed to (dY,dX) with a new slope P, find the transformation to do this. Such a transformation should be called a ‘contact transformation’.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I assumed X=X(x,y) and Y=Y(x,y)

Then, dY=(∂Y/∂x)dx+(∂Y/∂y)dy and dX=(∂X/∂x)dx+(∂X/∂y)dy with (dY/dX)=P

Again, dy=(∂y/∂X)dX+(∂y/∂Y)dY and dx=(∂x/∂X)dX+(∂x/∂Y)dY with (dy/dx)=p

To specify the transformation,I need to specify the matrix elements: a11,a12,a21,a22
which are respectively,[the matrix is (dX,dY)=Matrix(dx,dy)]

(∂X/∂x),(∂X,∂y),(∂Y/∂x),(∂Y/∂y)

The above equations gave me four relations:

(∂Y/∂x)=P(∂X/∂x)...A

(∂Y/∂y)=P(∂X/∂y)...B

(∂y/∂X)=p(∂x/∂X)...C

(∂y/∂Y)=p(∂x/∂Y)...D

Do these relations (I notice 4 equations and 4 unknowns) give unique solutions?...Somehow, I am making mess with the solution part.Actually, though there are 4 equations,I am not sure if I can write the inverse of C and D as

(∂X/∂x)=p(∂X/∂y)...C'

(∂Y/∂x)=p(∂Y/∂y)...D'

Can anyone please suggest the significance of the "contact transformation" term?

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for your post. It seems like you have made good progress in finding the transformation for the given scenario. To answer your question about the significance of the term "contact transformation," this refers to a specific type of transformation in mathematics where the derivatives of a function are preserved. In this case, the transformation you are finding is a contact transformation because the derivatives of the original curve are preserved in the transformed curve. This type of transformation is useful in various applications, such as in differential geometry and physics.

Regarding your solution, it looks like you have a system of four equations with four unknowns, which means you should be able to find a unique solution. However, it is important to check that the equations are consistent and do not lead to any contradictions. It might also be helpful to graph the original and transformed curves to visualize the transformation and verify that it preserves the derivatives.

I hope this helps clarify the concept of contact transformation and provides some guidance for your solution. Good luck!

What is the Contact Transformation Problem?

The Contact Transformation Problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding a transformation that maps one contact structure onto another while preserving the contact structure.

What is a contact structure?

A contact structure is a mathematical concept used to describe the behavior of a contact between two objects or surfaces. It is a geometric object that describes the possible motions and forces that can occur at the contact point.

What is the significance of the Contact Transformation Problem?

The Contact Transformation Problem is significant in various fields such as robotics, computer graphics, and biomechanics. It allows for the analysis and simulation of contact between objects in a more accurate and efficient manner.

What are the main challenges in solving the Contact Transformation Problem?

One of the main challenges in solving the Contact Transformation Problem is the complexity of the contact structure itself. It can be difficult to find a transformation that preserves the contact structure while also being computationally efficient.

What are some applications of the Contact Transformation Problem?

The Contact Transformation Problem has many applications in fields such as robotics, computer graphics, and biomechanics. It is used to model and simulate contact between objects in virtual environments, as well as in the design and control of robots and prosthetic devices.