Crafting Effective Emails to Research Mentors for Summer Internships

In summary, if you're inquiring about an internship, be polite and say that you're interested in the project. Do some background reading on the professor you're interested in working with, but don't overdo it. It may cost you to do this 19 more times.
Mogarrr
Greetings forum-goers,

I am planning to apply for a DHS summer internship, where I am encouraged to contact research mentors (although it's stated that OSRI makes the hiring decision).

I plan on cold emailing several mentors and, besides introducing myself and mentioning how I am interested in their DHS project, I don't know what else I should say.

I really want this internship. What are some things I should mention when emailing a research mentor, who will hopefully have some influence on a hiring decision? What's a good introduction?

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you looked up what papers they've published? That may help you craft an informed introduction.

As an example, you compliment them on some paper you've read recently that they wrote, ask some questions though not too detailed and then go into the internship interest.

Likes Mogarrr
That sounds good. Thanks for the idea.

I think its a good idea to do some background reading on the work of the professor you're interested in working with, but just be careful about "overshooting" this approch.

Your goal, in contacting a potential mentor, is to get (or at least assess for yourself if you want to get) an internship. There's no point in trying to hide this or trying to impress someone with your knowledge of what they have done and then casually slip in a hint that you might be interested in an internship.

It's perfectly fine to write an email along the lines of: Dear Professor, I am an Nth year undergraduate student at X University and I am very interested in the internship/project you have posted.

I think I'm echoing Choppy's advice here.

Mogarrr said:
I plan on cold emailing several mentors and, besides introducing myself and mentioning how I am interested in their DHS project, I don't know what else I should say.

I think introducing yourself and mentioning that you are interested in their project is everything you should say.

Likes Mogarrr
Since I couldn't find any publications by a few mentors, I decided to test "contacting a mentor", by simply introducing myself, stating my research interests, my interest in their project, and asking whether my interests were related to their project. I tried this with one mentor, emailing them this morning. I'm still waiting for a reply, though I imagine they can be busy.

How much did it cost you to do that?

Once you've answered that, answer this: how much would it cost you to do it 19 more times? Or 99?

Likes Mogarrr
Locrian said:
How much did it cost you to do that?

Once you've answered that, answer this: how much would it cost you to do it 19 more times? Or 99?

Thanks for the pep talk.

Mogarrr said:
emailing them this morning. I'm still waiting for a reply

Different colleges/universities are on different academic calendars. For what it's worth, at the college where I work, final exams were last week, grades were due yesterday (Monday), and campus is very quiet this week as professors scatter off to recover from the end of the semester, start doing Christmas shopping, etc. Most of the people on campus are administrators and administrative staff.

1. How do I find a research mentor?

One way to find a research mentor is to reach out to professors or researchers in your field of interest. You can also ask for recommendations from your academic advisor or other professors. Additionally, many universities have online databases or resources that list research projects and their corresponding mentors.

2. What should I include in my initial email to a potential research mentor?

Your email should introduce yourself, explain your interest in their research, and express your desire to work with them. It is also important to highlight any relevant skills or experiences you have, and to ask if they are currently looking for research assistants. Make sure to keep your email concise and professional.

3. How do I know if a research mentor is a good fit for me?

Before reaching out to a research mentor, it is important to do some research on their previous work and publications. This will give you an idea of their research interests and whether they align with yours. You can also reach out to current or former students who have worked with the mentor to get a better understanding of their working style and expectations.

4. How should I prepare for my first meeting with a research mentor?

Before your first meeting, make sure to familiarize yourself with the mentor's research and come up with questions or ideas to discuss. It is also helpful to bring a copy of your resume or CV, and any relevant coursework or projects that demonstrate your skills and interests. Most importantly, be open to feedback and show enthusiasm for the research topic.

5. How do I maintain a good relationship with my research mentor?

Communication is key in maintaining a good relationship with your research mentor. Make sure to keep them updated on your progress and ask for guidance or feedback when needed. It is also important to show up prepared and on time for meetings, and to be respectful of their time and boundaries. Additionally, expressing gratitude and showing a genuine interest in their research can go a long way in building a strong mentor-mentee relationship.