Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Contamination issues

1. Mar 22, 2005 #1
    # About the laminar flow hood; when should i turn off the blowers which circulate the air? After the work or should it be on all the time? Can i have it on at the same time with the UV light? :frown:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2005 #2

iansmith

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You should have the hood on anytime you work and we usually let the air circulate for about 15 minutes before starting to work in the hood and after working it the hood. This allows the contaminant to circulate and to be trapped in the filter. So the air in the hood is pratically sterile.

You can leave the UV on when the air is not circulationg. You should have the UV light on for the 15 minutes warmed and cool down time.

do not rely on the UV light to make a the surface of the hood sterile. You should always clean the hood with a sterilizer (ex: 75% alcohol) before and after you use the hood.

4. Mar 23, 2005 #3
    I get different answers in this issue which makes me confused. :confused:

So again, should i leave the UV light 24/7 when i don't work?

Should i turn the blowers off when i have the UV light on?

Should i have the blowers on when i work?

Should i turn the blowers off when i don't work?

Thanks for any inputs which clare my mind.

5. Mar 23, 2005 #4

iansmith

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You do not have to leave the UV light 24/7 when you do not work. However, it is often suggested that the UV light stays on when you do not work. It is up to you. We only turn the UV light 15-20 minutes before and after our work.

The blower needs to be on whenever you work inside the vertical laminar flow hood. The blower should be turn on 15 minutes before and after you work inside the hood. It blower should be off when you do not work it hood. The blower may or may not when the UV light are on.

6. Mar 23, 2005 #5

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The blower creates a laminar flow of air, which acts like a wall so that nothing can come in and nothing can come out. Your hands will go through the laminar flow, make sure that you don't work too close to the front of the hood: this will disturb the laminar flow.

Are you a student doing a research project, or are you doing course work? Communication with your advisor or supervisor is very important. Are you not getting a proper introduction from them? Don't be afraid to ask them many questions when they explain things.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?