1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Content math problem

1. Dec 10, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If we let J be in R^p so J=J1x....xJp the cartesian product of p cells in R. Then we define the content of J as c(J)=(b1-a1)....(bp-ap) so in like R it would be length area in R^2 etc. Then define content zero by Z in R^p has content zero if for each epsilon > 0 there exists a finite set J1,...,Jn of cells whose union contains Z and such that c(J1)+.....c(Jn) < epsilon. In an example we did we let the space in R^2 S=((x,y): |x|+|y|=1) and we proved that S has content zero by letting n natural number introducing squares with diagonals on the line in S. then S can be in enclosed in 4n squares each with content 1/n^2 so the total content is 4/n which can be made small so S has content zero. Where i'm confused is S is in R^2 so the cells of S are (-1,1) and (-1,1) so c(S)=(-1-1(-1-1)=4 but we showed S has content zero. This is confusing to me can anyone help clarify?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I have no idea what you are talking about. S is contained in [-1,1]x[-1,1] which has area 4. Sure. It's also contained in many collections of cells having smaller area.
  4. Dec 10, 2007 #3
    in the space in R^2, S is diamond shaped and S={(x.y): |x|+|y|=1}. take n to be a natural number. then if you introduce squares with diagonals along S you can enclose S in 4n squares. The content of each square is 1/n^2. so the total content is 4/n which can be made arbitrarily small. So by definition S has content zero. My question is S is in R^2 and the x values range from -1 to 1 and same with the y values. So the content of S is c(S)=(1-(-1))(1-(-1))=4. I'm confused about this. Because by definition a set has zero content if for every epsilon > 0 there exists a finite set J1, ...,Jn of cells whose union contain the set and s.t. c(J1)+...+c(Jn)<epsilon. The squares in the example contain S and all contents added together can be made smaller than any epsilon by increasing epsilon. So it makes sense that S has content zero but I also see how the content could be 4. Also, it's not a square it's a diamond. I don't know if that makes a difference though. thanks
  5. Dec 10, 2007 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Area 4 is ONE way to cover the set with rectangles. 'Content' is defined as the limit of the MINIMUM area needed to cover the set with a FINITE number of rectangles, isn't it? The area 4 cover is hardly minimum.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?