1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Continous function

1. Sep 27, 2004 #1
    continuous function

Is there a continuous function that has no tangent line at all? If so what is it? I know it must be made up of cusps and corners
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2004 #2
    A function that doesn't have a tangent at a point means that the function's derivative doesn't exist at that point. You're right, functions are non-differentiable at cusps or corners. Examples of functions that don't have derivatives at one or more points include the absolute value function: [tex]y = \left|x\right|[/tex] or the Heaviside step function: [tex]\theta(x) = \left\{\begin{array}{cc}0,&\mbox{ if }
    x\leq 0\\1, & \mbox{ if } x>0\end{array}\right.[/tex]
  4. Sep 28, 2004 #3
    A function can be nowhere differentiable yet everywhere continuous. It's hard to draw but it does exist. Here is an example

5. Sep 28, 2004 #4

That cleared it up but i couldnt figure out the equation of the function.
  6. Sep 28, 2004 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

To give you another one:
    Define f(x) as:
    f'(x) cannot be defined at any point, although f(x) is continuous for all x.
    This is, I believe, Weierstrass' first published example of such a function.
  7. Sep 28, 2004 #6
    What does the n! stand for
  8. Sep 28, 2004 #7

Homework Helper

It means Factorial, look it up.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?