Evaluating Continued Fraction: \langle 1, 2, 1, 2, \ldots \rangle

• Thread starter math_grl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fractions
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the correct answer for evaluating the continued fraction \langle 1, 2, 1, 2, \ldots \rangle. The correct equation for x is 1 + \frac{1}{2 + \frac{1}{x}} and after using the quadratic formula, the positive root is x = \frac{-1 + \sqrt{13}}{2}. However, the given answer was x = \frac{1 + \sqrt{3}}{2}, leading to confusion. The speaker also mentions difficulty in finding other examples to check their computation.
math_grl
Ok I need to know which is the right answer for evaluating the continued fraction [tex]\langle 1, 2, 1, 2, \ldots \rangle[/tex]?

Here's my work:
[tex]x = 1 + \frac{1}{2+x} \Rightarrow x^2 + x - 3 = 0[/tex] and by quadratic formula, we get [tex]x = \frac{-1 \pm \sqrt{13}}{2}[/tex] but we only want the positive root so I get [tex]x = \frac{-1 + \sqrt{13}}{2}[/tex] for my answer but the answer given was [tex]x = \frac{1 + \sqrt{3}}{2}[/tex], so I'm confused at which it is...

Moreover, I can't seem to find any other example except for [tex]\langle 1, 1, 1, \ldots \rangle[/tex] to see if I'm doing my computation right. Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your equation for x is incorrect. It should be

[tex]1 + \frac{1}{2 + \frac{1}{x}}[/tex]

:blushing:
that's embarassing.

You'll do better next time!

I would advise you to check your work and make sure you have correctly applied the continued fraction formula. It is possible that you made a mistake in your calculations, which is why you are getting a different answer than the one given.

In terms of evaluating continued fractions, there is no one right answer as it depends on the specific continued fraction and the method used to evaluate it. It is possible that the answer given to you is using a different method or approach to evaluate the continued fraction.

I would also recommend looking for other examples of continued fractions to see if your computation method is correct. You can also try using a different approach to evaluating the continued fraction, such as using different formulas or algorithms.

Overall, it is important to carefully check your work and consider different approaches when evaluating continued fractions. There is no one definitive answer, and it is possible for different methods to yield different results.

1. What is a continued fraction?

A continued fraction is a representation of a number as an infinite sequence of nested fractions. It is typically written in the form [a0; a1, a2, a3, ...], where a0 is the whole number part and the rest of the sequence represents the fractional part.

2. How do you evaluate a continued fraction?

To evaluate a continued fraction, you can use the following algorithm:

1. Start with the last fraction in the sequence (a_n).
  2. Calculate the value of the fraction (1 / a_n).
  3. Add the whole number part (a_n-1) to the value calculated in step 2.
  4. If there are more fractions in the sequence, repeat steps 2-3 with the previous fraction (a_n-1).
  5. Once you have reached the first fraction (a0), add its value (a0) to the final result.

3. What is the significance of the sequence in the continued fraction [1; 2, 1, 2, ...]?

The sequence [1; 2, 1, 2, ...] is an example of a simple continued fraction, where the terms in the sequence repeat in a pattern. This particular sequence represents the golden ratio, which has many interesting mathematical properties and is found in nature.

4. Can all numbers be represented as continued fractions?

No, not all numbers can be represented as continued fractions. For example, irrational numbers, such as pi and the square root of 2, cannot be represented as finite continued fractions. However, they can be approximated by continued fractions with more and more terms in the sequence.

5. How are continued fractions used in mathematics and science?

Continued fractions have many applications in mathematics and science, including number theory, approximation of irrational numbers, and solving certain types of equations. They are also used in fields such as signal processing, finance, and physics for data analysis and modeling.