Boundary and Continuity Conditions in 2D Potential Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the boundary and continuity conditions for a potential -V between (-a,a) and 0 otherwise, in both one and two dimensional cases. In the one dimensional case, the boundary condition is given by ϕI(a)=ϕII(a) and the continuity condition is ϕI'(a)=ϕII'(a). In the two dimensional case, the boundary condition is X_I(a)=X_{II}(a) and Y_I(a)=Y_{II}(a), while the continuity condition is not explicitly stated but can be inferred as X_I(a)=Y_{II}(a) and Y_I(a)=X_{II}(a).
PeteSampras
Hello, i had studied the problem in 1D, but i thinking the problem in 2d, an i have the following question:

in a potential -V between (-a,a) an 0 otherwise.

One dimensional case:

One of the boundary condition are :

##\phi_I \in (-a,a)##, and ##\phi_{II} \in (a,\infty)##

## \phi_I(a)=\phi_{II}(a)##

and continuity condition

## \phi_I'(a)=\phi_{II}'(a)##

in two dimensional case , for example with separation variables:

##X_I(x)Y_I(y) \in (x,y) \in (-a,a)##, and ##X_{II}(x) Y_{II}(y) \in (x,y) \in (a,\infty)##

how are the boundary and continuity condition?

I think that

## X_I(x=a)Y_I(y=a)=X_{II}(x=a)Y_{II}(x=a)##

but, ¿how i write the continuity condition?,

Physics news on Phys.org
You mean [itex] x \in (-a,a) [/itex] and [itex]y \in (-a,a)[/itex]
You don't have to do much, just match the corresponding solutions. Y,X are independent of x,y respectively, so you can deal with the x,y axis separately as having the 1D case (only twice cause now you have 2 -x,y- 1D )
So
[itex]X_I (a)= X_{II} (a) [/itex]

[itex]Y_I (a)= Y_{II} (a) [/itex]

The same argument:
The only other way to have the continuity of [itex]\Psi[/itex] at those points would be to say:
[itex]X_{I}(a)= Y_{II}(a)[/itex]
[itex]Y_{I}(a)= X_{II}(a)[/itex]
But this wouldn't make any sense, since that's the reason of applying the separation of solutions- to treat each variable independently of the other.

Last edited:
ϕI(a,a)=ϕII(a,a) ?

1. What is the Continuity condition box 2D?

The Continuity condition box 2D is a mathematical concept used in computer graphics and animation to ensure smooth transitions between two-dimensional objects or animations.

2. Why is the Continuity condition box 2D important?

The Continuity condition box 2D is important because it helps to avoid visual discontinuities, such as gaps or overlaps, between two-dimensional objects or animations. This creates a more realistic and seamless visual experience.

3. How is the Continuity condition box 2D calculated?

The Continuity condition box 2D is calculated by determining the position, velocity, and acceleration of two-dimensional objects or animations at specific points in time and ensuring that they match up at the boundaries between frames.

4. What happens if the Continuity condition box 2D is not satisfied?

If the Continuity condition box 2D is not satisfied, there may be visible gaps or overlaps between two-dimensional objects or animations, resulting in a jarring and unrealistic visual experience.

5. Are there any limitations to the Continuity condition box 2D?

Yes, the Continuity condition box 2D is limited to two-dimensional objects or animations and cannot be applied to three-dimensional objects or animations. It also assumes a constant velocity and acceleration, which may not always be the case in real-world scenarios.