1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Continuity Equation

1. Nov 18, 2009 #1
    Hi. I have a new one!

Prove that if [tex] V \left(\stackrel{\rightarrow}{r} , t \right) [/tex] is complex the continuity equation becomes [tex] \frac{\partial}{\partial t}P \left(\stackrel{\rightarrow}{r},t \right)+\nabla \stackrel{\rightarrow}{j} \left(\stackrel{\rightarrow}{r},t \right) = \frac{2}{h} \int \right[Im \ V \left(\stackrel{\rightarrow}{r},t \right) \right] P \left(\stackrel{\rightarrow}{r},t \right) d\stackrel{\rightarrow}{r} [/tex]

so that the addition of an imaginary part of the potential describes the presence of sources if Im V > 0 or sinks if Im V < 0. Show that if the wave function is [tex]\Psi \stackrel{\rightarrow}{r},t \right)[/tex] is square integrable

[tex] \frac{\partial}{\partial t} \int P \left(\stackrel{\rightarrow}{r},t \right) d\stackrel{\rightarrow}{r}= \frac{2}{h} \int \right[Im \ V \left(\stackrel{\rightarrow}{r},t \right) \right] P \left(\stackrel{\rightarrow}{r},t \right) d\stackrel{\rightarrow}{r} [/tex]

This first is easy and i can prove it, now the second part! However i need to go now, later i return to continue!

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?