1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Continuity equation

1. Apr 8, 2005 #1
    i do not understand how the continuity equation works?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What continuity equation do you refer to?I can think of 2 or maybe more,but u need to be more specific.

Daniel.

4. Apr 8, 2005 #3
    that is the problem that i have ran into. on my assignment it does not say. it just ask us to use coninuity equation to explain how jet engines provide a forward thrust for an airplane? i have tried to research it but i am still lost.

part 2 of the question ask us to use Bernoulli's equation and explain hoe it relates to continuity equation?

5. Apr 8, 2005 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This equation

[tex] \frac{\partial\rho\left(\vec{r},t\right)}{\partial t}+\nabla\cdot\left[\rho\left(\vec{r},t\right)\vec{v}\left(\vec{r},t\right)\right]= 0 [/tex]

Daniel.

6. Jul 29, 2011 #5
    Hello, am study Continuity Equation right now for my problem Solving Class at ITT Tech
    The Continuity Equation was give in the book. A1V1=A2V2 where A1 is the cross-sectional area at point 1, V1 is the velocity of the fluid at point 1, A2 is the cross-sectional area at point 2, and then V2 is the velocity of the fluid at point 2. Like you I stuck on Skill Level Problem II about using the equation to explain how jet engines provide forward trust for an airplane.

The Bernoulli's Equation and I still search for the equation but I think I end up using the one from Engineering Tool Box. The link is http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/bernouilli-equation-d_183.html. I hope this helps but if you already finish maybe you can send help on the jet engine problem.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2011
  7. Jul 29, 2011 #6

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

The equation of continuity in fluid dynamics is used when a fluid flows through an area which is then changed. The total flow remains constant i.e. volume per unit time is constant.

In equation form this is

A1v1=A2v2

How would A2 have to be with respect to A1 for there to be an increase in velocity?

Loneliheart posted a link that should prove to be helpful.

8. Jul 31, 2011 #7

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This ol' thread is locked. (And by "old", I mean that literally.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?