Understanding Continuity Equation & Conservation Laws

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of continuity equation and its relation to conservation laws. The participants question why it is called continuity equation and what is continuous in it. They also give examples of globally and locally conserved quantities, such as charge and energy.
Pushoam
TL;DR Summary
It is about why ## \frac{ d\rho} {dt} = - \nabla \cdot \vec J ## is called continuity equation.

I understand that from local conservation of charge, we get eqn. 8.4. I don't get why it is called continuity eqn. What is continuous in it?

Conservation of momentum gives us equation, ## \frac {d\vec p }{dt} = \vec F ##. This equation is not called continuity equation. Can we get a continuity equation from every conservation law?
The images are taken from Griffith's Electrodynamics, 4ed.

Attachments

• 1559300718395.png
    1559300718395.png
    7.8 KB · Views: 422
  • 1559300729040.png
    1559300729040.png
    7.8 KB · Views: 272
Physics news on Phys.org
Pushoam said:
I don't get why it is called continuity eqn. What is continuous in it?
Nomenclature like this doesn’t matter. It makes no difference why it is called the continuity equation. The important thing is what it says. I would not waste time asking why it is called that.

Pushoam said:
Can we get a continuity equation from every conservation law?
Not global conservation laws. The continuity equation applies for locally conserved quantities.

Likes vanhees71 and Chestermiller
Thanks.
Could you please give me an example of something which is globally conserved, but not locally?

Well, if charge is conserved locally, it is certainly conserved globally.

Pushoam said:
Thanks.
Could you please give me an example of something which is globally conserved, but not locally?

Energy. In "classical" circumstances energy is conserved. But on the scale of the universe, it is not necessarily conserved. Also at at the quantum mechanics level, we have time-energy uncertainty.

Thanks to all.

Pushoam said:
Thanks.
I think that the fundamental laws all involve locally conserved quantities, but you can easily write a useful Lagrangian where something that is locally conserved in the fundamental laws is only globally conserved in your Lagrangian. I think that energy and angular momentum are examples in classical orbital mechanics.

Likes Pushoam
Likes Dale

What is the continuity equation?

The continuity equation is a fundamental principle in fluid mechanics that states that the mass of a fluid is conserved within a closed system. This means that the amount of fluid entering a system must be equal to the amount of fluid leaving the system, taking into account any changes in density or velocity.

How is the continuity equation related to conservation of mass?

The continuity equation is directly related to the conservation of mass. It states that the total mass of a fluid within a closed system remains constant over time. This means that mass cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed.

What are the conservation laws in fluid mechanics?

The conservation laws in fluid mechanics are the principles of conservation of mass, momentum, and energy. These laws state that mass, momentum, and energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed within a closed system.

How does the continuity equation apply to real-world situations?

The continuity equation is used in a variety of real-world situations, such as in the design of pipelines, pumps, and turbines. It is also used in meteorology to understand the movement of air masses and in oceanography to study ocean currents. Additionally, the continuity equation is used in medical imaging techniques, such as MRI, to understand the flow of fluids within the body.

What are some common misconceptions about the continuity equation?

One common misconception about the continuity equation is that it only applies to incompressible fluids. In reality, the equation can be applied to both compressible and incompressible fluids, as long as the changes in density are taken into account. Another misconception is that the continuity equation only applies to steady-state flow. However, it can also be applied to unsteady flow, as long as the changes over time are considered.