Fluid Flow Continuity in Control Volume Analysis for Shallow Channels

In summary, the conversation is about trying to work out an expression involving the rate of change of mass within a control volume, using the continuity equation. The person is struggling with the math involved and is looking for hints or ideas to solve the problem. They also mention that the expression is for small amplitude waves in shallow channels.
Trenthan
Ey guys, girls

Trying to work out what I've attached below

Now i can get the right part of my expersion to match however the left I am not 100% sure how to change d/dt from control volume analysis to delta(h)/delta(t)

I think I am more stuck with the maths here than anything, not the theory.

From my guess i would say that height and width do not vary with time, along the length of the control volume. but according to what i should get height does vary with time...

I should also add this is for small amplitude waves in shallow channels

fluidQ1.jpg

once i get that term I am after i simply divide by dx and density to get the required solution
i haven't attached the working for the right term in the expression, since I've derived that bit

Any idea's, hints?

Cheers Trent

Physics news on Phys.org
The expression you're trying to work out is most likely derived from the continuity equation, which states that the rate of change of mass within a control volume is equal to the net rate of flow of mass across its boundaries. This can be written as: d/dt [ρ * A * h] = ∇ . (ρ * v * A) Where ρ is the density, A is the area, h is the height and v is the velocity. To solve for the left term, you can use the chain rule to express the time derivative as a function of the change in height with respect to time, and the area and density as constants. This results in the expression: d/dt [ρ * A * h] = ρ * A * (Δh/Δt) Hope this helps!

1. What is continuity in fluid flow?

Continuity in fluid flow refers to the principle that the mass of a fluid entering a system must equal the mass of the fluid exiting the system, regardless of any changes in velocity or cross-sectional area within the system.

2. How is continuity expressed mathematically?

Continuity is expressed mathematically through the equation Q = A1V1 = A2V2, where Q represents the volume flow rate, A represents the cross-sectional area, and V represents the velocity of the fluid at two different points in the system.

3. What is the significance of continuity in fluid flow?

The principle of continuity is important because it allows us to understand and predict the behavior of fluids in various systems, such as pipes, pumps, and channels. It also helps us to design and optimize these systems for efficient and effective fluid flow.

4. How does continuity relate to the Bernoulli's equation?

Continuity is a fundamental principle of fluid mechanics and is closely related to Bernoulli's equation, which describes the relationship between fluid velocity, pressure, and elevation in a system. Both concepts are essential for understanding and analyzing fluid flow.

5. What are some real-world applications of the continuity principle?

The continuity principle is applied in various engineering fields, such as hydraulics, aerodynamics, and fluid dynamics. It is used to design and analyze systems for water supply, irrigation, sewage, and air flow in airplanes and vehicles. It is also applied in industries such as oil and gas, chemical processing, and power generation.