1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Continuity homework help

1. Oct 8, 2006 #1
    I need to show all fxn f: X -> X are cts in the discrete top. and that the only cts fxns in the concrete top are the csnt fxns.

Let (X,T) be a discrete top with T open sets.

Let f: X->X. WTS that f:X->X is cts if for every open set G in the image of X, f^-1(G) = V is an open in X when V is a subset of X.

Since (X,T) is a discrete top, V in the power set of X must be open. Since T is open and T = PX this implies that f is cts.

Is there anything wrong with that?

As for the xecond half, i'm not sure. When they say cnst fxns do they mean f(c) = c?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2006 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Nothing wrong with that. In the discrete topology, every set is open. If f is any function, A any open set (any set) then f-1(A) is a set and therefore open.

No, f(c)= c is the identity function: f(x)= x. A constant function is of the form f(x)= c for all x in the set.

I'm not sure what you mean by the "concrete" topology. Is that the topology in which the only open sets are X and the empty set? (I would call it the "indiscrete" topology.)

4. Oct 9, 2006 #3
    Yes that's the concrete top

5. Oct 9, 2006 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Are you sure it's true that the only continuous functions are the constant functions? If f(x)= x, the identity function, then f-1(empty set)= empty set and f-1(X)= X. That is, the inverse images of the only open sets are open.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?