Exploring Continuity in Modern Algebra: Origins and Applications

In summary, modern algebra is a combination of continuty (topology) and algebra. It can happen, but it's rare. Discreteness is a big factor in modern algebra.
pivoxa15
Does the notion of continuity exist in modern algebra?

If so how do they arise?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can certainly have topological monoids, groups, rings, et cetera. And you can construct topological spaces related to algebraic structures.

see zariski topology, and the metric completion of a ring wrt an ideal.

So it can happen in algebra but rare for pure algebra as opposed to algebra mixed with other maths disciplines like topology.

But would you say 'discreteness' plays a large role in modern algebra?

How would it sound if someone said they like modern algebra because of its discreteness which lacks in say analysis and topology?

Last edited:
I would think you meant something more like "exact" than "discrete". I'm not sure what you consider "pure", but commutative algebra, at least, is very closely intertwined with algebraic geometry.

define as metric on a ring wrt a fixed maximal ideal m, where the distasnce between f and g is 1/2^n, where n the largest n such that f-g belongs to m^n.then in this metric, where m = the maximal ideal of the origin in the polynomial ring, a formal power series is the limit of the sequence of its partial sums. i.e. one can complete a polynomial ring wrt a maximal ideal, and get a power series ring.

this leads to the concept of the completion of a ring wrt an ideal. this concept helps recover local concepts in algebra,

"more local" than given by the zariski topology.

How many angels can dance on the head of a pin? More semantic hair splitting. Go, on, pixova, define 'pure algebra'...

a basic philosophy is that to understand a thing, one wants to construct as many invariants of it as possible. so to understand a ring, one can consider obvious invariants such as its cardinality, or its group of units.

but one can also look at more complicated invariants such as the associated affine scheme, or in the case of a local ring, its completion wrt the metric defined above.

for the local ring of a smooth point on an algebraic variety this leads to a proof of the theorem in pure algebra that the ring is a ufd because its completion is so.

I would be inclined to say that all of those many situations in which you have both continuity (i.e. topology) and an algebraic structure are "analysis" rather than just algebra. In my (probably idiosycratic) opinion, analysis is the combination of algebra with topology.

HallsofIvy said:
I would be inclined to say that all of those many situations in which you have both continuity (i.e. topology) and an algebraic structure are "analysis" rather than just algebra. In my (probably idiosycratic) opinion, analysis is the combination of algebra with topology.

So is that why Herman Weyl said something like "...algebra and topology fight for every branch of mathematics." So even a fundalmental discipline like analysis is a combo of algebra and topology.

matt grime said:
How many angels can dance on the head of a pin? More semantic hair splitting. Go, on, pixova, define 'pure algebra'...

I can't define pure algebra just as I can't define mathematics. But I can give some examples. Galois theory is pure algebra. Whereas topics in algebraic topology is not pure algebra. There may also me things in between.

Last edited:
mathwonk said:
a basic philosophy is that to understand a thing, one wants to construct as many invariants of it as possible. so to understand a ring, one can consider obvious invariants such as its cardinality, or its group of units.

but one can also look at more complicated invariants such as the associated affine scheme, or in the case of a local ring, its completion wrt the metric defined above.

for the local ring of a smooth point on an algebraic variety this leads to a proof of the theorem in pure algebra that the ring is a ufd because its completion is so.

What do you mean by invariants? Never changing?

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/invariant

Do you mean its properties?

An invariant is almost another name for a functor. I.e. an object or quantity F(X) constructed from X is an invariant of [the isomorphism type of] X if F(X) and F(Y) are isomorphic or equal whenever X and Y are.

Examples: (co)homology rings, fundamental groups, etc of topological spaces are invariant under homeomorphism (and homotopy).

The ultimate aim of mathematics for some people is to find a set of invariants that uniquely characterise objects up to whatever level of equivalence you are working with. See, e.g. compact surfaces, genus, homotopy, and the poincare conjecture, for example.

pivoxa15 said:
Galois theory is pure algebra.
The Galois group is profinite, its topology plays a criticial role in the theory.

Finite profinite groups are discrete -- if you've only worked with finite Galois extensions, that would explain why you haven't seen this before. A useful example of an infinite Galois extension is [itex]\mathbf{\bar{Q}} / \mathbf{Q}[/itex]: the algebraic numbers over the rationals.

pivoxa15 said:
Whereas topics in algebraic topology is not pure algebra.
Why not? Yes, I am playing devil's advocate, but I'd like you to examine your own preconceptions about mathematics.

i believe herman weyl actually said more like: " the angel of topology and the devil of abstract algebra fight for the soul of every discipline in mathematics."

Oh, I like that!

Does the fact that he said "angel of topology" and "devil of abstract algebra" tell us that he was a topologist?

read some of weyls books. he is author of some outstanding algebra books. as well as books on riemann surfaces,...

1. What is the concept of continuity in modern algebra?

Continuity in modern algebra refers to the idea that a function or structure remains unchanged or consistent over a given domain or set of inputs. In other words, small changes in the input result in small changes in the output. This concept is essential in understanding the behavior and properties of algebraic structures.

2. What are the origins of continuity in modern algebra?

The concept of continuity in modern algebra can be traced back to the work of mathematicians such as Georg Cantor, Richard Dedekind, and Bernhard Riemann in the 19th century. These mathematicians explored the idea of continuity in various mathematical contexts, including the real numbers and complex analysis.

3. How is continuity applied in modern algebra?

Continuity is applied in modern algebra in various ways. It is used to define and study important algebraic structures such as groups, rings, and fields. It is also used to prove theorems and properties of these structures, providing a deeper understanding of their behavior and relationships.

4. What are some real-world applications of continuity in modern algebra?

Continuity has many real-world applications, particularly in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. For example, the concept of continuity is used in the study of differential equations, which are essential in modeling and understanding physical phenomena. It is also used in optimization problems in economics and engineering.

5. How does continuity relate to other concepts in modern algebra?

Continuity is closely related to other important concepts in modern algebra, such as differentiability and uniform continuity. These concepts build upon the idea of continuity and provide a more nuanced understanding of how functions behave over a given domain. They are also used in the study of more advanced algebraic structures, such as topological groups and fields.