Continuity in Analysis: Finding Continuous Functions

In summary, the functions are continuous at x= a for each of the given values of "epsilon", but they are discontinuous at x=-sqrt(3)-1 and x=sqrt(3)-1.
ryanj123

Homework Statement

Find sets of all x on which the following functions are continuous
using any theorems available.

When the phrase "any thms. available" is used, we are only at a stage in my beginning analysis course where we've learned up to continuity, limits, convergence/divergence, circular functions, etc. Not much beyond that, so the proof I'm trying to construct needs to fall within these limits.

Homework Equations

i) 1/(sqrt(x^2+2x+2))

ii) (x(x-1))/(x^2+2x-2)

iii) sec(x^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

So I've graphed these things to better see the continuity.

For i) obviously when the sqrt is greater than or equal to 0 is it defined.

For ii) the function is discontinuous by means of the quadratic formula at x=-sqrt(3)-1, and x=sqrt(3)-1.

For iii) this function can be represented as 1/(cos(x^2)) which is discontinuous when cos(x^2)=0.

So I understand these areas of discontinuity and continuity but I'm not sure how to formulate it exactly into an argument involving:

epsilon>0 , there exists delta>0 such that:

lf(x)-f(a)l<epsilon => lx-al<delta

Physics news on Phys.org
Try showing that each of them are continuous whenever they're defined.

The problem says "using any theorems available" so I see no reason to go back to the "epsilon-delta" definitions.

You surely know things like "if f(x) and g(x) are both continuous at x= a then so are f(x)+ g(x) and f(x)g(x)", "If f(x) and g(x) are both continuous at x= a and g(a) is not 0 then f(x)/g9x) is continuous at x= a", "If g(x) is continuous ata x= a and f(x) is continuous at x= f(a) then f(g(x)) is continuous at a", "any polynomial is continuous for all a", "[itex]\sqrt{x}[/itex]" is continuous for all non-negative a", and "cos(x) is continuous for all a". Putting those together will give the correct continuity for each of these functions.

What is continuity in analysis?

Continuity in analysis refers to the property of a function where the output of the function changes smoothly as the input changes. In other words, a function is continuous if there are no abrupt changes or breaks in the graph of the function.

Why is continuity important in analysis?

Continuity is important in analysis because it allows us to make predictions and draw conclusions about a function based on its behavior over a certain interval. It also helps us to better understand the behavior of a function and its relationship with other functions.

What are the three types of continuity in analysis?

The three types of continuity in analysis are pointwise continuity, uniform continuity, and global continuity. Pointwise continuity refers to the continuity of a function at individual points, while uniform continuity refers to the continuity of a function over an entire interval. Global continuity refers to the continuity of a function over its entire domain.

How is continuity different from differentiability?

Continuity and differentiability are related but distinct concepts. While continuity refers to the smoothness of a function, differentiability refers to the existence of a derivative at a point. A function can be continuous but not differentiable, but a function cannot be differentiable without being continuous.

What is the Intermediate Value Theorem and how is it related to continuity?

The Intermediate Value Theorem states that if a function is continuous on a closed interval, then it takes on every value between the values of the endpoints. This theorem is related to continuity because it relies on the property of continuity to guarantee that there are no breaks or gaps in the graph of the function over the interval.