1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Continuity in Analysis

1. Oct 23, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find sets of all x on which the following functions are continuous
    using any theorems available.

When the phrase "any thms. available" is used, we are only at a stage in my beginning analysis course where we've learned up to continuity, limits, convergence/divergence, circular functions, etc. Not much beyond that, so the proof I'm trying to construct needs to fall within these limits.

2. Relevant equations

i) 1/(sqrt(x^2+2x+2))

ii) (x(x-1))/(x^2+2x-2)

iii) sec(x^2)

3. The attempt at a solution

So I've graphed these things to better see the continuity.

For i) obviously when the sqrt is greater than or equal to 0 is it defined.

For ii) the function is discontinuous by means of the quadratic formula at x=-sqrt(3)-1, and x=sqrt(3)-1.

For iii) this function can be represented as 1/(cos(x^2)) which is discontinuous when cos(x^2)=0.

So I understand these areas of discontinuity and continuity but I'm not sure how to formulate it exactly into an argument involving:

epsilon>0 , there exists delta>0 such that:

lf(x)-f(a)l<epsilon => lx-al<delta

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2009 #2
    Try showing that each of them are continuous whenever they're defined.

4. Oct 23, 2009 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The problem says "using any theorems available" so I see no reason to go back to the "epsilon-delta" definitions.

You surely know things like "if f(x) and g(x) are both continuous at x= a then so are f(x)+ g(x) and f(x)g(x)", "If f(x) and g(x) are both continuous at x= a and g(a) is not 0 then f(x)/g9x) is continuous at x= a", "If g(x) is continuous ata x= a and f(x) is continuous at x= f(a) then f(g(x)) is continuous at a", "any polynomial is continuous for all a", "[itex]\sqrt{x}[/itex]" is continuous for all non-negative a", and "cos(x) is continuous for all a". Putting those together will give the correct continuity for each of these functions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook