1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Continuity in metric spaces

1. Sep 18, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that if (x[itex]_{n}[/itex]) is a sequence in a metric space (E,d) which converges to some x[itex]\in[/itex]E, then (f(x[itex]_{n}[/itex])) is a convergent sequence in the reals (for its usual metric).

2. Relevant equations
    Since (x[itex]_{n}[/itex]) converges to x, for all ε>0, there exists N such that for all n[itex]\geq[/itex]N, d(x[itex]_{n}[/itex],x)<ε.
    So |x-x[itex]_{n}[/itex]|<ε

3. The attempt at a solution
    I understand that this will prove continuity, but I'm not sure how to get from d(x[itex]_{n}[/itex],x)<ε to what we want: d(f(x[itex]_{n}[/itex]_,f(x))<ε

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2012 #2

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

If f is continuous then from [itex]d(x,x_n)\rightarrow 0[/itex] you can deduce [itex]d(f(x_n),f(x))\rightarrow 0[/itex] (by definition).

Anyway for f general this might not be the case, take f(x)=1/x, x_n =1/n. x_n ->0 but f(0) is not defined.

4. Sep 18, 2012 #3
    We aren't given that f is continuous, which is why I'm stuck.

5. Sep 18, 2012 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

If f is not continuous, then the statement in the OP is false.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook