1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Continuity of a function

1. Sep 10, 2007 #1
    My problem is this. Let [tex]f:\mathbb{R}^{2}\longrightarrow \mathbb{R}^{2}[/tex] be a continuous function that satifies that [tex]\forall q\in\mathbb{Q}\times\mathbb{Q}[/tex] we have [tex]f(q)=q[/tex]. Proof that [tex]\forall x\in\mathbb{R}^{2}[/tex] we have [tex]f(x)=x[/tex].

I have worked out that because it is continuous, [tex]f[/tex] satisfies that
    [tex]\forall \epsilon>0\exists\delta>0\mid \forall x\in B_{\delta}(a)\longleftrightarrow f(x)\in B_{\epsilon}(f(a))[/tex]

and then [tex]\forall q\in\mathbb{Q}\times\mathbb{Q}[/tex] we have
    [tex]\forall \epsilon>0\exists\delta>0\mid \forall x\in B_{\delta}(q)\longleftrightarrow f(x)\in B_{\epsilon}(q)[/tex]

therefore we have to proof that [tex]\forall x'\in\mathbb{R}^{2}[/tex] we have
    [tex]\forall \epsilon>0\exists\delta>0\mid \forall x\in B_{\delta}(x')\longleftrightarrow f(x)\in B_{\epsilon}(x')[/tex].

It's obvious that every element of [tex]\mathbb{R}^{2}[/tex] could be approximated by some element of [tex]\mathbb{Q}\times\mathbb{Q}[/tex] or sequence in this. But, how I can link this in an expression to get what I have to proof?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2007 #2
    I'm not so sure about this but do we not know how the function maps irrational numbers, such as sqrt(2)?

4. Sep 10, 2007 #3

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

TimNguyen, in fact we know (they are mapped to themselves, as f is the identity map) but this is exactly what Elessar Telkont wants to show.

Indeed you got the idea right: any real number can be approximated by a sequence of rational numbers (and therefore, pairs of reals can be approximated by pairs of rationals).
    What I would do is: Try to make this process of approximation precise (describe it in terms of epsilon-delta). Now assume what you want to prove is not true, then this should give a contradiction with the continuity (which you have also written out in epsilon-delta).

I will take a look and post it more precisely later on (first, you give it a try yourself)

5. Sep 10, 2007 #4

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hmm, it was much easier.

It is a familiar fact (or otherwise you should be able to easily prove it from the definition) that for continuous functions f, it holds that [tex]\lim_{n \to \infty} f(x_n) = f(\lim_{n \to \infty} x_n)[/tex] for a sequence [tex](x_n)_{n \in \mathbb{N}}[/tex].
    So describe a real pair x as the (coordinate-wise) limit of a sequence [itex]x_n[/itex] of rational pairs, then
    [tex]f(x) = f(\lim_{n \to \infty} x_n) \stackrel{*}{=} \lim_{n \to \infty} f(x_n) = \lim_{n \to \infty} x_n = x,[/tex]
    where the identity marked with a star holds by the continuity of f -- QED.

[edit]For completeness, let me prove the claim about the limits (it's a nice exercise in epsilon-delta proofs, so you might want to try it yourself first):
    Let [itex]\epsilon > 0[/itex]. Since f is continuous, there is some [itex]\delta[/itex] such that [itex]|| x - x_n || < \delta[/itex] implies that [itex]|| f(x_n) - f(x) || < \epsilon[/itex].
    Now [itex]x_n[/itex] converging to x means that for this [itex]\delta[/itex] I can find an [itex]N[/itex] such that [itex]|| x_n - x || < \delta[/itex] as long as [itex]n > N[/itex].
    So, through the [itex]\delta[/itex] from the definition of continuity, I have found an [itex]N[/itex] for my [itex]\epsilon[/itex] such that [itex] n > N[/itex] implies [itex]|| f(x_n) - f(x) || < \epsilon [/itex], in other words,
    [tex] \lim_{n \to \infty} f(x_n) = f(x) = f( \lim_{n \to \infty} x )[/tex].

Last edited: Sep 10, 2007
  6. Sep 10, 2007 #5
    Sorry about that. My math is extremely rusty since I started graduate school in physics.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?