1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Continuity of a function

1. Nov 16, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

f:R2 -> R

f(x,y) = [tex]e^{-x^{2}/y^{2}}[/tex] if y is not 0, and 0 if y is 0

a) At (1,1), is f continuous?
    b) At (1,0), is f continuous?

2. Relevant equations

The function f is continuous at the point c if for every sequence (xn) in X with limit lim xn = c, we have lim f(xn) = f(c).

3. The attempt at a solution

a) I think it is continuous at (1,1). My reasoning is that [tex]e^{-x^{2}/y^{2}}[/tex] is continuous on [tex]R^{2}-\left\{(x,0)\right\}[/tex], and [tex](1,1) \in R^{2}-\left\{(x,0)\right\}[/tex].

b) I don't think this is true... but not sure how to show it.

I am trying to work with the definition: "The function f is continuous at the point c if for every sequence (xn) in X with limit lim xn = c, we have lim f(xn) = f(c)."

So if f is continuous at (1,0), that means for any lim (xn,yn) = (1,0), we have lim f(xn,yn) = f(1,0). But f(1,0) is 0, so any lim f(xn,yn) = 0.

If I choose (xn,yn) = (1, 1/n), the limit is (1,0). But lim f(xn,yn) = lim [tex]e^{-n^{2}}[/tex], which does not equal 0. Does this show that f is not continuous at point (1,0)?

Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2009 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

For b, if your function is continuous at (1, 0), then lim f(x, y) = f(1, 0) = 0, as (x, y) approaches (1, 0), independent of the path taken to get to (1, 0). If you can find one path into (1, 0) that produces a function value other than 0, that would suffice to show that the limit doesn't exist.

4. Nov 17, 2009 #3
    Is my example of such a path (that I stated above) not valid?

If (xn, yn) = (1, 1/n), it goes to (1,0), but the limit of the function value, lim f(xn, yn) = lim [tex]e^{-1/\frac{1}{n^{2}}}[/tex] = lim [tex]e^{-n^{2}}[/tex], which does not equal 0... it goes to infinity as n goes to infinity.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
  5. Nov 18, 2009 #4
    okay, I guess it wasn't. f IS continuous at (1, 0), and the function value of any path into (1, 0) is always 0.

For f to be continuous at (1,0), this condition must hold: [tex]lim_{(x, y)\rightarrow(1, 0)} f(x,y) = f(1,0)=0[/tex]

First, if [tex]y=0[/tex], then f(x, y)=f(1, 0)=0. Second, if [tex]y\neq0[/tex], since [tex](x,y) \rightarrow (1,0)[/tex], we have [tex]-x^{2}/y^{2} \rightarrow -\infty[/tex] and thus [tex]f(x,y)=e^{-\infty} \rightarrow 0[/tex]. So f must be continuous at (1, 0)

6. Nov 18, 2009 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Yes, I agree. In your previous post, you said that lim f(xn, yn) = lim e-n2, which does not equal zero (limit as n --> infinity for yn = 1/n). As n gets large w/o bound, though, e-n2 approaches 0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook