Solving for Continuity in a Piecewise Function

In summary: The problem is that at x = 3, you don't know what the function value should be. All you know is that the two formulas should give the same value when x = 3.
Econometricia
1. Find the values of A and B that make the function continuous.
f(x) = (x2-4) /(x-2) When x < 2
f(x) = ax2-bx +3 When 2 < x < 3
f(x) = 2x - a + b When X is > or equal to 3

3. I took the limit of the equation and set it equal to the second to solve for a and b. After I wrote that in terms of b and tried to solve for a , but I got a= -(7/2) and b = 5.5 The correct solution is a=b=1/2

Thank You In Advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the limit of f(x) as x --> 2 from the left?
What should be the limit of f(x) as x --> 2 from the right?

Same questions for x approaching 3.

The limit is 4 and should be for all correct?

Lim f(x) = 4, as x -->2, but I don't know what it is when x --> 3. However, you want the left-side and the right-side limits to be equal when x --> 3, so does that give you some idea of where to start?

No, the light bulb hasn't clicked yet.

Then go back and reread what I wrote. If you still have questions, ask them.

Well, what I did is I solved for the limit of the function as x-->2 from the left and got 4. I then set the second equation = to 4 and used x =2 to solve for a and b. After I solved for a and b I wrote b in terms of a and solved for the third equation to get the a. I know this is not the correct approach. Can you tell me where I began to go wrong?

Econometricia said:
Well, what I did is I solved for the limit of the function as x-->2 from the left and got 4. I then set the second equation = to 4 and used x =2 to solve for a and b.
Did you get 4a - 2b = 1?
Econometricia said:
After I solved for a and b I wrote b in terms of a and solved for the third equation to get the a.
This is where you went wrong. The problem is that at x = 3, you don't know what the function value should be. All you know is that the two formulas should give the same value when x = 3.
So, at x = 3, ax^2 -bx + 3 = 2x - a + b.
Substitute x in this equation, then you'll have a second equation in a and b.

Now with two equations in a and b, you should be able to solve them to find values for a and b.
Econometricia said:
I know this is not the correct approach. Can you tell me where I began to go wrong?

1. What is continuity of a function?

Continuity of a function refers to the property of a mathematical function being uninterrupted or connected over a certain interval. In other words, it means that the graph of the function can be drawn without lifting the pen or having any breaks.

2. How is continuity of a function determined?

Continuity of a function is determined by three conditions: the function must be defined at the point in question, the limit of the function must exist at that point, and the limit must equal the value of the function at that point.

3. What is the difference between continuity and differentiability?

Continuity and differentiability are two separate concepts. While continuity refers to the smoothness of a function, differentiability refers to the existence of a derivative at a point. A function can be continuous but not differentiable, and vice versa.

4. Can a function be continuous at a point but not on an interval?

Yes, a function can be continuous at a point but not on an interval. This can occur when the function has a discontinuity within the interval, but the value of the function at the point in question is equal to the limit of the function at that point.

5. How does continuity of a function affect its graph?

If a function is continuous, its graph will have no breaks or interruptions. This means that the graph will be a smooth, connected curve without any sharp turns or corners. In other words, continuity ensures that the graph of a function can be drawn without lifting the pen.