1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Continuity of a Function

1. Feb 3, 2010 #1
    1. Find the values of A and B that make the function continuous.
    f(x) = (x2-4) /(x-2) When x < 2
    f(x) = ax2-bx +3 When 2 < x < 3
    f(x) = 2x - a + b When X is > or equal to 3

3. I took the limit of the equation and set it equal to the second to solve for a and b. After I wrote that in terms of b and tried to solve for a , but I got a= -(7/2) and b = 5.5 The correct solution is a=b=1/2

Thank You In Advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2010 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

What is the limit of f(x) as x --> 2 from the left?
    What should be the limit of f(x) as x --> 2 from the right?

Same questions for x approaching 3.

4. Feb 3, 2010 #3
    The limit is 4 and should be for all correct?

5. Feb 3, 2010 #4

Mark44

Lim f(x) = 4, as x -->2, but I don't know what it is when x --> 3. However, you want the left-side and the right-side limits to be equal when x --> 3, so does that give you some idea of where to start?

6. Feb 3, 2010 #5
    No, the light bulb hasn't clicked yet.

7. Feb 3, 2010 #6

Mark44

Then go back and reread what I wrote. If you still have questions, ask them.

8. Feb 3, 2010 #7
    Well, what I did is I solved for the limit of the function as x-->2 from the left and got 4. I then set the second equation = to 4 and used x =2 to solve for a and b. After I solved for a and b I wrote b in terms of a and solved for the third equation to get the a. I know this is not the correct approach. Can you tell me where I began to go wrong?

9. Feb 4, 2010 #8

Mark44

Did you get 4a - 2b = 1?
    This is where you went wrong. The problem is that at x = 3, you don't know what the function value should be. All you know is that the two formulas should give the same value when x = 3.
    So, at x = 3, ax^2 -bx + 3 = 2x - a + b.
    Substitute x in this equation, then you'll have a second equation in a and b.

Now with two equations in a and b, you should be able to solve them to find values for a and b.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook