1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Continuity Of Composites

1. Feb 3, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the constants a and b such that the function is continuous on the entire real line.

2. Relevant equations
    f(x)={2, x< or = -1
    {ax + b, -1<x<3
    {-2, x> or = 3

3. The attempt at a solution
    I don't know where to start.

If anyone is willing to help me with my calculus make up work let me know. I don't get it at all.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This isn't really calculus. You need to pick a and b so that a*(-1)+b=2 and a*(3)+b=-2. Do you see why?

4. Feb 3, 2008 #3
    haha sorry it is in my calculus book. ya i think i do. but how would you get a and b then?

5. Feb 3, 2008 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You would solve the two simultaneous equations -a+b=2 and 3a+b=(-2). I think that's in your algebra book.

6. Feb 3, 2008 #5
    a=-1 and b=1, i dont have an algebra book but i got it somehow. do i need a new thread for each new problem i have?

7. Feb 3, 2008 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You don't have to. But you'll get better response time if you do. Posts with zero replies get much more attention.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?