How to Prove the Continuity of a Derivative?

In summary, it seems that if a function is differentiable on an interval, it must be continuous on that interval. However, this doesn't always hold true- for example, the function f(x) = x2sin(x) is differentiable on (-1,1), but its derivative, f'(x), is not continuous at x=0.
Treadstone 71
If f is differentiable on (a,b), does it imply that f' is continuous on (a,b)? If so, is there a way of proving it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you mean if f(x) is differentiable at every value of x in [a,b]?

The nice thing about analysis is that, unless you have a clever trick to apply, the right first step is almost always the same: rewrite the question in terms of the definitions. (i.e. continuity and derivatives are defined in terms of limits, and limits have an epsilon-delta definition)

yes, if is differentiable it has to exists

this can be concluded by the domain being within it

devilkidjin said:
yes, if is differentiable it has to exists
this can be concluded by the domain being within it
I have no idea what this means! "domain being within it"? What does "it" refer to? In fact, what does "it has to exist" refer to? This doesn't appear to have anything to do with the original question- whether the existence of f' on an interval implies that f' must be continuous on that interval.

The answer to that question is "no"- for example the function
[itex]f(x)= x^2sin(\frac{1}{x})[/itex] if [tex]x \neq 0[/itex], f(0)= 0
is differentiable at every point on (-1, 1) but that f' is not continuous at 0.

A lot of people confuse continuity of the derivative with the fact that, if a function is differentiable at a point, the function must be continuous at that point.

What's the derivative of your said function at 0?

I'm pretty sure if f is differentiable on I, then f' is continuous on I.

Last edited:
yes.

lim(x->x0) {[f(x)-f(x0)]/(x-x0)}*lim(x->x0){x-x0}=0

Therefore, lim(x->x0){f(x)-f(x0)}=0, lim(x->x0) {f(x)}=f(x0)..

Treadstone 71 said:

For Hall's example, f'(0)=0, you can work it out using the definition of the derivative. The limit of f' as you approach zero doesn't exist and your assertion that f' must be continuous is false.

Derivatives do have an intermediate value property though. If f is differentiable on [a,b] and f'(a)<c<f'(b) then f'(x)=c for some x in (a,b)

No, treadstone and rocketa, the question was NOT "if f is differentiable is f continuous?"

The question was "If f is differentiable is f '(x) continuous?". without a space between the f and the ' it's a little bit hard to see but if you look closely it's there! If f is differentiable on an interval, it's derivative is NOT necessarily differentiable there. The example I gave earlier:
f(x)= x2sin(x) if x is not 0
f(0)= 0
is differentiable on for all x but its derivative is not continuous at x= 0.

treadstone said:
If that was a reference to my example, the derivative at 0 is, of course
[tex]lim_{x\rightarrow 0}\frac{x^2sin(\frac{1}{x})}{x}= lim_{x\rightarrow 0}x sin(
\frac{1}{x})= 0[/tex]

For x not equal to 0, the derivative is
[tex]2x sin(\frac{1}{x})- cos(\frac{1}{x})[/tex]
which does not have a limit as x goes to 0.

That is, the derivative exists for all x but is not continuous at x=0.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah yes, I was searching for the intermediate value property, thinking it was continuity. Thanks for clearing that up.

is f' continuous somewhere?

HallsofIvy said:
No, treadstone and rocketa, the question was NOT "if f is differentiable is f continuous?"
The question was "If f is differentiable is f '(x) continuous?". without a space between the f and the ' it's a little bit hard to see but if you look closely it's there! If f is differentiable on an interval, it's derivative is NOT necessarily differentiable there. The example I gave earlier:
f(x)= x2sin(x) if x is not 0
f(0)= 0
is differentiable on for all x but its derivative is not continuous at x= 0.
If that was a reference to my example, the derivative at 0 is, of course
[tex]lim_{x\rightarrow 0}\frac{x^2sin(\frac{1}{x})}{x}= lim_{x\rightarrow 0}x sin(
\frac{1}{x})= 0[/tex]
For x not equal to 0, the derivative is
[tex]2x sin(\frac{1}{x})- cos(\frac{1}{x})[/tex]
which does not have a limit as x goes to 0.
That is, the derivative exists for all x but is not continuous at x=0.

Nod, Nod.

I misunderstood the question. Sorry!

What is continuity of derivative?

Continuity of derivative is a property of a function where the derivative of the function exists at every point in its domain. This means that the function is smooth and has no abrupt changes, or "jumps", in its graph.

How is continuity of derivative different from continuity?

Continuity refers to the smoothness and lack of breaks in a function's graph, while continuity of derivative specifically refers to the smoothness of the rate of change of the function.

Why is continuity of derivative important?

Continuity of derivative is important because it allows us to analyze and understand the behavior of a function. It also plays a crucial role in calculus, particularly in the study of optimization and finding maximum and minimum values.

What are the conditions for a function to have continuity of derivative?

A function must be continuous and differentiable at every point in its domain for it to have continuity of derivative. This means that the function must have a smooth, unbroken graph and its derivative must exist at every point.

How can you determine if a function has continuity of derivative?

You can determine if a function has continuity of derivative by checking if it meets the conditions mentioned above. You can also graph the function and observe if there are any abrupt changes or "jumps" in the graph, which would indicate a lack of continuity of derivative.