Proving Continuity of f(x)/g(x) at c with Given Conditions

• Thread starter kingstrick
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Continuity
In summary, the problem is that you need to show that g(x) is not too small. You can do this by showing that |g(x)| is greater than |g(c)/2|, when x is close to c.
kingstrick
Want to show that f(x)/g(x) is continuous as x goes to c given that g(c) is not 0 and f(c) exists.

|f(x)/g(x) - f(c)/g(c)| = |1/(g(x)g(c))||f(x)g(c)-f(c)g(x)| = |1/(g(x)g(c))||f(x)g(c)-f(c)g(x)-f(x)g(x) + f(x)g(x)| <= |1/(g(x)g(c))|||f(x)||g(x)-g(c)| + |g(x)||f(x)- f(c)||

Now I am stuck

Physics news on Phys.org
kingstrick said:
Want to show that f(x)/g(x) is continuous as x goes to c given that g(c) is not 0 and f(c) exists.

|f(x)/g(x) - f(c)/g(c)| = |1/(g(x)g(c))||f(x)g(c)-f(c)g(x)| = |1/(g(x)g(c))||f(x)g(c)-f(c)g(x)-f(x)g(x) + f(x)g(x)| <= |1/(g(x)g(c))|||f(x)||g(x)-g(c)| + |g(x)||f(x)- f(c)||

Now I am stuck

You are missing some necessary conditions on f and g; namely, that they be continuous at c. You don't have any hope of proving that f/g is continuous if you don't have both f and g being continuous. It's not enough that g(c) is not 0 and f(c) exists.

I left that part out. Sorry I was trying to show where I was stuck. By staying f(x) is continuous at c, then can I state that f(x) -f(c) is zero by the definition of continuous?

In the numerator, add and subtract [itex]f(c)g(c)[/itex] instead of [itex]f(x)g(x)[/itex].

kingstrick said:
I left that part out. Sorry I was trying to show where I was stuck. By staying f(x) is continuous at c, then can I state that f(x) -f(c) is zero by the definition of continuous?
Depends on how rigorous you need to be. If you're not doing a δ-##\epsilon## proof, then ##lim_{x \to c} f(x) - f(c) = 0##, and I emphasize that this is a limit.

If you are doing a δ-##\epsilon## proof, then |f(x) - f(c)| < ##\epsilon_1## and similar for |g(x) - g(c)|.

pasmith said:
In the numerator, add and subtract [itex]f(c)g(c)[/itex] instead of [itex]f(x)g(x)[/itex].

That gives me |f(c)| |g(x) - g(c)| + |g(c)||f(x)-f(c)| in the numerator. Can I still claim that f(x) = f(c) ?

kingstrick said:
I don't know what you mean by that. Of course, f(x)- f(c) "is zero" at x= c. That is true because f(c)- f(c)= 0 whether f is continuous or not. Even if f is continuous, f(x)- f(c) is not necessarily equal to 0 for any other x. Perhaps you mean, not that f(x)- f(c) is 0, but that, for any [itex]\epsilon> 0[/itex], [itex]|f(x)- f(x)|< \epsilon[/itex] for x sufficiently close to c. That follows directly from the definition of "continuous", that [itex]\lim_{x\to c} f(x)= f(c)[/itex].

Mark44 said:
Depends on how rigorous you need to be. If you're not doing a δ-##\epsilon## proof, then ##lim_{x \to c} f(x) - f(c) = 0##, and I emphasize that this is a limit.

If you are doing a δ-##\epsilon## proof, then |f(x) - f(c)| < ##\epsilon_1## and similar for |g(x) - g(c)|.

Thank you. We just learned about delta. I will try it that way.

Can I say

|f(x) - f(c)| <ϵepsilon/g(c)

since g(c) is a value and not equal to zero?

I am not sure how to handle the fraction

So now I have:

([itex]\frac{1}{g(x)g(c)}[/itex])|g(c)||f(x)-f(c)|+|f(c)||g(x)-g(c)|

given that |x-c|<[itex]\delta[/itex] then

([itex]\frac{1}{g(x)g(c)}[/itex])|g(c)||f(x)-f(c)|+|f(c)||g(x)-g(c)|=([itex]\frac{1}{g(x)g(c)}[/itex])|g(c)||x-c|+|f(c)||x-c|<[itex]\epsilon[/itex]

so to find a good delta-epsilon i would need [itex]\delta[/itex] = [itex]\epsilon[/itex]1 /|f(c)| + [itex]\epsilon[/itex]2 /|g(c)| which i guess makes my [itex]\epsilon[/itex] = the summation of the two epsilons.

But this looks like i am going down the wrong rabbit hole and does nothing to show what i do with the fraction ([itex]\frac{1}{g(x)g(c)}[/itex])

Last edited:
**corrected

You're perhaps missing a couple of tricks here:

First, there is no problem showing that f(x) gets close to f(c), so |f(x) - f(c)| gets small.

But, that's not what you want for g(x). Showing that g(x)-g(c) is small is not going to help. Instead, what you need is g(x) not to be too small. Because, if g(x) is too small, then f(x)/g(x) is going to get large and not close to f(c)/g(c).

So, the trick is show that |g(x)| is > |g(c)/2|, when x is close to c, which allows you to control the size of f(x)/g(x). To do this, you can chose e1 = |g(c)|/2 and show that as x gets close to c, |g(x) - g(c)| < |g(c)/2|, which means that |g(x)| > |g(c)|/2.

This is a common trick. Do you see the point?

If |g(x)| > |g(c)|/2 then 2/|g(c)| >1/|g(x)|

Allowing me to state 2/|g(c)g(c)| > 1/|g(c)g(x)|

Yes.

Another idea is to prove that 1/g(x) is continuous. Then prove that the product of two functions is continuous. And, putting the two together, you have the result. This might split the difficulties up and make the thing more manageable. It is tricky!

PeroK said:
Yes.

Another idea is to prove that 1/g(x) is continuous.

Or just prove that 1/x is continuous where defined, and that a composition of continuous functions is continuous.

Then prove that the product of two continuous functions is continuous.

If it is given that g(c) exists and does not equal zero, Doesnt that mean 1/g(c) exists?

I guess I am asking if this is a iff statement. That if 1/g(c) exist implies that (1/g(x)) is continuous at c. Meaning that if g(x) is continuous thrn g(c) exists and given it is not 0 then 1/g(c) exists then 1/g(x) is continuous at c.

Last edited:
You must assume:

f is continuous at c; g is continuous at c and g(c) not = 0.

Otherwise f/g may not be continuous at c.

1. What is the definition of continuity?

The definition of continuity for a function f(x) at a point c is that the limit of f(x) as x approaches c exists and is equal to the value of f(x) at c.

2. How do you determine if a function is continuous at a point c?

To determine if a function f(x) is continuous at a point c, you must check if the limit of f(x) as x approaches c exists and is equal to the value of f(x) at c. If both of these conditions are met, then f(x) is continuous at c.

3. What is the difference between continuity and differentiability?

Continuity and differentiability are two related concepts, but they are not the same. Continuity refers to the smoothness of a function at a point, while differentiability refers to the existence of a derivative at a point. A function can be continuous but not differentiable, and vice versa.

4. What does it mean for a function to be discontinuous at a point c?

A function is discontinuous at a point c if either the limit of the function as x approaches c does not exist, or if the limit exists but is not equal to the value of the function at c. This means that the function has a "break" or "jump" at c.

5. Can a function be continuous at one point and discontinuous at another?

Yes, a function can be continuous at some points and discontinuous at others. For example, a piecewise function can be continuous at the points where the pieces are connected, but discontinuous at the points where the pieces meet. Another example is the function f(x) = 1/x, which is continuous at all points except x = 0, where it is discontinuous.