1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Continuity of infinite series

1. May 12, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show, from the definition of continuity, that the power series function f(x)=sum(a_n*x^n) is continuous for its radius of convergence.

2. Relevant equations
    Definition of continuity

3. The attempt at a solution
    Must show that for any |a| < R, given e>0 there exists d>0 such that |x-a|<d => |f(x) - f(a)|.
    |f(x)-f(a)| < e.
    |f(x) - f(a)| <= |f(x-a)|
    Then I get stuck here.
    Any help would be appreciated
    Last edited: May 12, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

|f(x)-f(a)| is not less than |f(x-a)|. It's not like f is linear or something. |f(x)-f(a)|=|(f(x)-f(a))/(x-a)|*|x-a|. Now to get a d, you need a bound on |(f(x)-f(a))/(x-a)| near x=a. Hint: doesn't that look like a difference quotient?
  4. May 13, 2008 #3
    Hmm we haven't done differentiation yet so I'm not sure how helpful the |(f(x)-f(a))/(x-a)| will be.
  5. May 13, 2008 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are doing power series without having done differentiation!??? That's an interesting pedagogical approach. You can still factor (x-a) algebraically from each power of f(x)-f(a), but I'm not sure how you show the rest of it converges without using the differentiability of power series.
  6. May 13, 2008 #5
    Thanks for the help though
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?