Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Continuity of set-valued map

1. Sep 30, 2014 #1
    1/ Prove that the set-valued map F defined by
    F : [0, 2π] ⇒ R2 as
    F(α) := {λ(cos α, sin α) : λ ≥ 0}.
    is continuous,
    but not upper semicontinuous at any α ∈ [0, 2π].
    2/ What is the fact that " F is continuous if it is both u.s.c. and l.s.c".
    I would like illustrate that and thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2014 #2

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Do you know the definitions of u.s.c and l.s.c?

4. Oct 1, 2014 #3
    Definition(u.s.c.)
    Let X and Y be two topological spaces and F:X→P(Y)\{φ} be a set-valued map, we say that F is upper semicontinuous at x₀∈X, u.s.c. for short, if for any open V containing F(x₀) there exists a neighborhood N(x₀) of x₀ such that F(x)⊆V for all x∈N(x₀). We say that F is upper semicontinuous if it is so at every x∈X.
    Definition(l.s.c.)
    Let X and Y be two topological spaces and F:X→P(Y)\{φ}. We say that F is lower semicontinuous at x₀, l.s.c. for short, if for every open set V in Y with V∩F(x₀)≠φ, there exists a neighborhood N(x₀) for x₀ such that V∩F(x)≠φ for all x∈N(x₀). F is called lower semicontinuous if it is lower semicontinuous at each x∈X.

5. Oct 4, 2014 #4
    It appears to be lower semicontinuous but not upper semicontinuous.

To see it's lower semicontinuous, fix an open set ##V\subseteq \mathbb R^2## which intersects ##F(\alpha)## for some given ##\alpha\in[0,2\pi]##. That is, ##\lambda(\cos\alpha,\sin\alpha) \in V## for some ##\lambda\geq0##. You can check that for ##\beta## sufficiently close to ##\alpha##, the openness of ##V## implies ##\lambda(\cos\beta,\sin\beta) \in V##, and in particular, ##V## intersects ##F(\beta)##.

To see it's not upper semicontinuous at any ##\alpha\in [0,2\pi]##, consider the set ##V = \{\lambda(\cos\beta, \sin\beta): \enspace \beta\in \mathbb R, \enspace \lambda \in (-1, \infty), \enspace \lambda|\alpha-\beta|<1\}##. You can verify that ##V## is an open superset of ##F(\alpha)##, and that ##F(\beta) \nsubseteq V## for any ##\beta\neq\alpha##.

6. Oct 4, 2014 #5

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I see this as just the equivalent of the definition of continuity at a point; from Wiki:

337874d01d7807fe9881a5c60fab239a.png , but I am confused at your statement that it is continuous but not u.s.c for ## \alpha \in [0, 2\pi ] ## , since continuity implies u.s.c. Maybe you want continuity for ## \alpha ## outside of ## [0, 2\pi] ## ?

Sorry to nitpick so much, but in my understanding, your definition of lower semicontinuity implies continuity. What def. of continuity are you using, the inverse image of open/closed is open/closed?

Last edited: Oct 4, 2014
  7. Oct 5, 2014 #6
    thank you very much, , economicsnerd.
    Also like to thank WWGD.

8. Oct 5, 2014 #7
    The file attachment in down, please help me.

Attached Files:

9. Oct 5, 2014 #8
    The usual definition of a set-valued map being continuous is that it's both upper and lower semicontinuous. So of course, it can't be continuous without being lower semicontinuous.

10. Oct 29, 2014 #9

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

Browsing the web, it appears that the study of set valued functions is on the frontier of mathematical research. The PDF http://pareto.uab.es/~adaniilidis/DP_2010.pdf gives various definitions related to the continuity of set valued functions and distinguishes between continuity and "strict continuity".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook