1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Continuity of the function

1. Nov 13, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    [tex]f(x) = x^2 - 4x + a[/tex]
    [tex]g(x) = \lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} \frac {2|x-b|^n + 1}{|x-b|^n + 1}[/tex]

let [tex]h(x) = f(x)g(x)[/tex]

Find the sum of a+b that makes h(x) continuous for all x.

2. Relevant equations
    Power Series??? Derivation to test continuity???

3. The attempt at a solution

Well I know a function is continuous if

1)f(c) exists
    2)Limit as x goes to c of f(x) exists
    3)#1 is equal to #2

But I don't know where to go from here. Please help.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2008 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How does it fail to be continuous? f(x) is continuous for all a, but g(x) has a jump from when |x-b| < 1 (in which case g(x)=1) to when |x-b|>1 (in which case g(x)=2). So you need to figure out how to take care of it.

4. Nov 13, 2008 #3
    I understood why the discontinuity occurs, since |x-b|^n of n to the infinity could take you to 0 or a huge value (I think it was related to geometrical sum) depending on whether it's smaller than 1 or bigger than 1. I still do not have a clue how to get the specific values of a and b from it...

Last edited: Nov 13, 2008
  5. Nov 13, 2008 #4

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So, for f(x)g(x) to be continuous, you know that when |x-b| isn't near 1, the function's continuous. You should realize this gives us that the only two points of concern are x=b+1 and x=b-1. You have that as x approaches b+1 and b-1 from different sides, g is either 2 or 1. So you need f(b+1) and f(b-1) to be values such that f(b-1)*2=f(b-1)*1 and f(b+1)*2=f(b+1)

6. Nov 13, 2008 #5
    Then that simply means

f(b-1) = 1
    f(b+1) = 1

So we have

[tex]1 = (b-1)^2 - 4(b-1) + a[/tex]
    [tex]1 = (b+1)^2 - 4(b+1) + a[/tex]

[tex]0 = (b-1)^2 - 4(b-1) - (b+1)^2 + 4(b+1)[/tex]
    [tex]0 = (b-1)^2 - (b+1)^2 + 8[/tex]

[tex]b = 2[/tex]

Then,

[tex]1 = (2+1)^2 - 4(2+1) + a[/tex]
    [tex]1 = 9 - 12+ a[/tex]
    [tex]a = 4[/tex]

a + b = 6 is what I get, but supposedly this isn't the answer. I don't see what went wrong here, everything seems right.

[Edit]

Actually, I thought about it, but for the two distinct points of x = b-1 and x = b+1 to be continuous, shouldn't that mean that
    f(b-1) = f(b+1) ?

7. Nov 13, 2008 #6

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

f(b-1)=1. Then 2*f(b-1)=f(b-1) gives us 2=1. Are you sure that's the right value?

f(b-1) and f(b+1) have nothing to do with each other really (although it is correct that f(b-1)=f(b+1) is necessary, this is more by coincidence than any deep connection).

8. Nov 13, 2008 #7
    [Edit]

Oh, it's actually

f(b-1) = 0
    f(b+1) = 0

Doh! Thx

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?