How do I prove the continuity of the norm in any n.l.s.?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove the continuity of the norm in any n.l.s. N by showing that if xn converges to x, then the norm of xn also converges to the norm of x. The conversation points out that the definition of convergence and the reverse triangle inequality can be used to prove this. The conversation concludes with the acknowledgement that the proof may seem difficult at first, but becomes easier with practice.
gtfitzpatrick

Homework Statement

x[
Prove the continuity of the norm; ie show that in any n.l.s. N if xn [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] x then [tex]\left|\left|x_n\left|\left|[/tex] [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] [tex]\left|\left|x\left|\left|[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

i don't know where to start this
from the definition of convergence xn [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] x as n[tex]\rightarrow[/tex] [tex]\infty[/tex] if [tex]\left|\left|x_n - X\left|\left|[/tex] [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] 0 as n[tex]\rightarrow[/tex] [tex]\infty[/tex]

do i use this to prove it or am i barking up the wrong tree?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sure you use the definition of convergence. Can you prove the 'reverse triangle inequality'? abs(||a||-||b||)<=||a-b||.

let |a| ≥ |b|,
However, we can write a as a - b + b or a = (a - b) + b

Then |a| = |a - b + b|. But, |a - b + b| [tex]\leq[/tex] |a - b| + |b| by the Triangle Inequality, and so we have that |a| [tex]\leq[/tex] |a - b| + |b| . Now, subtract |b| from both sides. This gives us: |a|-|b| [tex]\leq[/tex] |a - b|

right?

gtfitzpatrick said:
let |a| ≥ |b|,
However, we can write a as a - b + b or a = (a - b) + b

Then |a| = |a - b + b|. But, |a - b + b| [tex]\leq[/tex] |a - b| + |b| by the Triangle Inequality, and so we have that |a| [tex]\leq[/tex] |a - b| + |b| . Now, subtract |b| from both sides. This gives us: |a|-|b| [tex]\leq[/tex] |a - b|

right?

Sure. That's it. Makes your proof easy, right?

thanks a million, i guess I'm just not looking at them right, but now i see

What is "continuity of the norm"?

"Continuity of the norm" refers to the idea that certain patterns or behaviors tend to persist over time and across different situations. It suggests that there is a consistency or stability in how individuals and groups behave in response to social norms.

Why is continuity of the norm important to study?

Understanding continuity of the norm can help us better predict and explain social behavior. It can also inform interventions and policies aimed at promoting or changing certain norms within a society.

What factors can influence continuity of the norm?

There are several factors that can influence continuity of the norm, such as cultural values, social norms, individual beliefs and attitudes, and group dynamics. Environmental and situational factors can also play a role.

Can continuity of the norm be disrupted or changed?

Yes, continuity of the norm can be disrupted or changed through various means, such as social movements, interventions, and changes in cultural values. However, it may take time and effort to shift entrenched norms.

What are the potential consequences of disrupting continuity of the norm?

Disrupting continuity of the norm can have both positive and negative consequences. It may lead to positive changes in social behavior and attitudes, but it can also create tension and conflict within a society. Additionally, disrupting norms may have unintended consequences that can be difficult to predict.