Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Continuity of Trig Functions

1. Apr 18, 2006 #1
    I’m having trouble showing that Sin(x) is a continuous function. I’m try to show it’s continuous by showing: [itex] 0<|x - x_0| < d => |sin(x) - sin(x_0)|<\epsilon[/itex]

Here is what I have done [itex] |sin(x)| - |sin(x_0)|<|sin(x) - sin(x_0)|<\epsilon [/itex] and |sin(x)|<|x| so -|x| < -|sin(x)| => [itex] |sin(x)|- |x| < |sin(x)| - |sin(x_0)|< \epsilon [/itex] but I can’t seem to go anywhere from there.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2006 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What are you supposed to know about sin(x) and cos(x) particularly for x near 0? I suggest you start with sin(x)=sin(x0+(x-x0)) and use the formula sin(u+v)=sin(u)cos(v)+sin(v)cos(u), and proceed from there.

4. Apr 19, 2006 #3
    i tried the addition angle identity, it only seemed to make things worse :(

5. Apr 19, 2006 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What definition of sine and cosine are you using? If you are using the (fairly) standard definition as the y and x coordinates, respectively, on the unit circle at angle [itex]\theta[/itex], then you are going to have to use some geometric properties.

6. Apr 27, 2006 #5

lurflurf

Homework Helper

It would be helpful to know what definition you are using. Expanding mathman's out line a standard proof becomes obvious if these well known properties are first established
    1)for all real numbers x and y
    sin(x/2)-sin(y/2)=2*cos(x+y)*sin(x-y)
    2)for all real numbers x
    cos(x)<=1
    3) for all real numbers x
    |sin(x)|<=|x|

Thus the given problem
    show that |sin(x)-sin(y)| can be made small by chosing |x-y| small
    becomes
    show that |sin(x)| can be made small by chosing |x| small

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?