1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Continuity of two-variable function

1. Oct 16, 2005 #1
    Hi, I have some troubles understanding the basic facts about investigating the continuity of two-variable functions.
    Our professor gave us very simple example to show us the basic facts:

Very important is that projections are continuous, it means

\pi_1 :[x,y] \longmapsto x

\pi_2 :[x,y] \longmapsto y

are continuous.
    Now let's have this function:

f(x,y) = \sqrt{x^2+y^2}

It's continuous on the whole [itex]\mathbb{R}^2[/itex]. Why?

1. Step:
    Projections are continuous

2. Step:

x,y \longmapsto x^2 + y^2[/tex]...continuous

3. Step:
    Square root is continuous on [itex][0,\infty)[/itex]
    What I don't fully understand is the second step. I can't see why, from the fact that projections are continuous, we can say that

x^2 + y^2

is continous. Of course I didn't expect any other result, when you look at it it's obvious that it will be continuous, but I just can't see the rigorous mathematical background.

You know, I see it is some equivalent of the limit of product of single variable function (? is it the right expression ?), but I don't think it's sufficient. I would need some equivalent for two-variable functions...

Hope you understand my problem :)

Thank you very much.
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2005 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'll give it a try, but I'm not a mathematician, so I might get it wrong ; feel free to correct me if that's the case.
    Consider the function [tex] a \rightarrow a^2[/tex]. That's a polynomial and hence continuous.
    Now, consider the first function:
    [tex] (x,y) \rightarrow x \rightarrow x^2 [/tex]
    This is a projection, followed by our squaring, so that's a continuous function from (x,y) to x^2.
    Next, consider the second function:
    [tex] (x,y) \rightarrow y \rightarrow y^2 [/tex]
    This is also a projection, followed by squaring, so that's a continuous function too, from (x,y) to y^2.
    The sum of two continuous functions, is continuous, so if we add our two functions, we have [tex] (x,y) \rightarrow x^2 + y^2[/tex]
    should be continous.
    Did I sneak in something ?
  4. Dec 14, 2005 #3

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Let the point [itex] M_0 (x_0,y_0) [/itex] belong to the domain of the function [itex] f(x,y) [/itex]. Then the function [itex] z=f(x,y) [/itex] is continous at the point [itex] M_0 (x_0,y_0) [/itex] if we have

[tex] \lim_{\substack{x\rightarrow x_0\\y\rightarrow y_0}} f(x,y) = f(x_0,y_0) [/tex]

and (x,y) approaches [itex] M_0 (x_0,y_0) [/itex] in arbitary fashion all the while remaining in the domain of the function.

Now if [itex] x=x_0 + \Delta x , y = y_0 + \Delta y [/itex] then the above condition can be rewritten as

[tex] \lim_{\substack{\Delta{x}\rightarrow 0\\\Delta{y}\rightarrow 0}} f(x_0 + \Delta x,y_0 + \Delta y) = f(x_0,y_0) [/tex]

[tex] \lim_{\substack{\Delta{x}\rightarrow 0\\\Delta{y}\rightarrow 0}} [f(x_0 + \Delta x,y_0 + \Delta y) - f(x_0,y_0)] = 0 [/tex]

[tex] \lim_{\substack{\Delta{x}\rightarrow 0\\\Delta{y}\rightarrow 0}} \Delta z = 0 [/tex]

So for [tex] z=\sqrt{x^2+y^2} [/tex],
    what is
    [tex] \lim_{\substack{\Delta{x}\rightarrow 0\\\Delta{y}\rightarrow 0}} \Delta z [/tex] for any point in the domain?
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2005
  5. Dec 14, 2005 #4

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Doesn't get any easier than this.

It's very simliar, if not the same, as continuity for a single variable.
  6. Dec 15, 2005 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Actually, it does- put it in polar coordinates and it IS continuity for a single variable!

The point made earlier, by vanesch, is that you cannot be certain of getting the correct limit of
    [tex] \lim_{\substack{\Delta{x}\rightarrow 0\\\Delta{y}\rightarrow 0}} \Delta z [/tex]

By simply taking [itex]\Delta y[/itex] going to zero and then taking [itex]\Delta x[/itex] going to 0. However, you can find the limit by seeing what happens when [itex](\Delta x, \Delta y)[/itex] is very close to (0,0). In polar coordinates that is measured by the single variable r. What do you get if you put this problem in polar coordinates?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?