Continuity of two-variable function

In summary, our professor said that if a function is continuous at a point, then the function is continuous in general.
twoflower
Hi, I have some troubles understanding the basic facts about investigating the continuity of two-variable functions.
Our professor gave us very simple example to show us the basic facts:Very important is that projections are continuous, it means

[tex]
\pi_1 :[x,y] \longmapsto x
[/tex]

[tex]
\pi_2 :[x,y] \longmapsto y
[/tex]

are continuous.
Now let's have this function:

[tex]
f(x,y) = \sqrt{x^2+y^2}
[/tex]

It's continuous on the whole [itex]\mathbb{R}^2[/itex]. Why?

1. Step:
Projections are continuous

2. Step:

[tex]
x,y \longmapsto x^2 + y^2[/tex]...continuous

3. Step:
Square root is continuous on [itex][0,\infty)[/itex]
What I don't fully understand is the second step. I can't see why, from the fact that projections are continuous, we can say that

[tex]
x^2 + y^2
[/tex]

is continous. Of course I didn't expect any other result, when you look at it it's obvious that it will be continuous, but I just can't see the rigorous mathematical background.

You know, I see it is some equivalent of the limit of product of single variable function (? is it the right expression ?), but I don't think it's sufficient. I would need some equivalent for two-variable functions...

Hope you understand my problem :)

Thank you very much.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
twoflower said:
What I don't fully understand is the second step. I can't see why, from the fact that projections are continuous, we can say that
[tex]
x^2 + y^2
[/tex]
is continous. Of course I didn't expect any other result, when you look at it it's obvious that it will be continuous, but I just can't see the rigorous mathematical background.
I'll give it a try, but I'm not a mathematician, so I might get it wrong ; feel free to correct me if that's the case.
Consider the function [tex] a \rightarrow a^2[/tex]. That's a polynomial and hence continuous.
Now, consider the first function:
[tex] (x,y) \rightarrow x \rightarrow x^2 [/tex]
This is a projection, followed by our squaring, so that's a continuous function from (x,y) to x^2.
Next, consider the second function:
[tex] (x,y) \rightarrow y \rightarrow y^2 [/tex]
This is also a projection, followed by squaring, so that's a continuous function too, from (x,y) to y^2.
The sum of two continuous functions, is continuous, so if we add our two functions, we have [tex] (x,y) \rightarrow x^2 + y^2[/tex]
should be continous.
Did I sneak in something ?

twoflower said:
Hi, I have some troubles understanding the basic facts about investigating the continuity of two-variable functions.

Twoflower,

Let the point [itex] M_0 (x_0,y_0) [/itex] belong to the domain of the function [itex] f(x,y) [/itex]. Then the function [itex] z=f(x,y) [/itex] is continuous at the point [itex] M_0 (x_0,y_0) [/itex] if we have

[tex] \lim_{\substack{x\rightarrow x_0\\y\rightarrow y_0}} f(x,y) = f(x_0,y_0) [/tex]

and (x,y) approaches [itex] M_0 (x_0,y_0) [/itex] in arbitary fashion all the while remaining in the domain of the function.

Now if [itex] x=x_0 + \Delta x , y = y_0 + \Delta y [/itex] then the above condition can be rewritten as

[tex] \lim_{\substack{\Delta{x}\rightarrow 0\\\Delta{y}\rightarrow 0}} f(x_0 + \Delta x,y_0 + \Delta y) = f(x_0,y_0) [/tex]

[tex] \lim_{\substack{\Delta{x}\rightarrow 0\\\Delta{y}\rightarrow 0}} [f(x_0 + \Delta x,y_0 + \Delta y) - f(x_0,y_0)] = 0 [/tex]

or
[tex] \lim_{\substack{\Delta{x}\rightarrow 0\\\Delta{y}\rightarrow 0}} \Delta z = 0 [/tex]

So for [tex] z=\sqrt{x^2+y^2} [/tex],
what is
[tex] \lim_{\substack{\Delta{x}\rightarrow 0\\\Delta{y}\rightarrow 0}} \Delta z [/tex] for any point in the domain?

Last edited:
siddharth said:
Twoflower,

Let the point [itex] M_0 (x_0,y_0) [/itex] belong to the domain of the function [itex] f(x,y) [/itex]. Then the function [itex] z=f(x,y) [/itex] is continuous at the point [itex] M_0 (x_0,y_0) [/itex] if we have

[tex] \lim_{\substack{x\rightarrow x_0\\y\rightarrow y_0}} f(x,y) = f(x_0,y_0) [/tex]

and (x,y) approaches [itex] M_0 (x_0,y_0) [/itex] in arbitary fashion all the while remaining in the domain of the function.

Now if [itex] x=x_0 + \Delta x , y = y_0 + \Delta y [/itex] then the above condition can be rewritten as

[tex] \lim_{\substack{\Delta{x}\rightarrow 0\\\Delta{y}\rightarrow 0}} f(x_0 + \Delta x,y_0 + \Delta y) = f(x_0,y_0) [/tex]

[tex] \lim_{\substack{\Delta{x}\rightarrow 0\\\Delta{y}\rightarrow 0}} [f(x_0 + \Delta x,y_0 + \Delta y) - f(x_0,y_0)] = 0 [/tex]

or
[tex] \lim_{\substack{\Delta{x}\rightarrow 0\\\Delta{y}\rightarrow 0}} \Delta z = 0 [/tex]

So for [tex] z=\sqrt{x^2+y^2} [/tex],
what is
[tex] \lim_{\substack{\Delta{x}\rightarrow 0\\\Delta{y}\rightarrow 0}} \Delta z [/tex] for any point in the domain?

Doesn't get any easier than this.

It's very simliar, if not the same, as continuity for a single variable.

JasonRox said:
Doesn't get any easier than this.

It's very simliar, if not the same, as continuity for a single variable.
Actually, it does- put it in polar coordinates and it IS continuity for a single variable!

The point made earlier, by vanesch, is that you cannot be certain of getting the correct limit of
[tex] \lim_{\substack{\Delta{x}\rightarrow 0\\\Delta{y}\rightarrow 0}} \Delta z [/tex]

By simply taking [itex]\Delta y[/itex] going to zero and then taking [itex]\Delta x[/itex] going to 0. However, you can find the limit by seeing what happens when [itex](\Delta x, \Delta y)[/itex] is very close to (0,0). In polar coordinates that is measured by the single variable r. What do you get if you put this problem in polar coordinates?

1. What is continuity of a two-variable function?

Continuity of a two-variable function means that the function is defined and has a continuous output for all possible values of both variables within its domain.

2. How is continuity of a two-variable function different from a one-variable function?

Continuity of a two-variable function requires that the function is continuous along all possible paths in the two-dimensional plane, while continuity of a one-variable function only requires that it is continuous along a single axis.

3. Can a two-variable function be continuous at one point but not at another?

Yes, a two-variable function can be continuous at one point and not at another. This is because continuity depends on the behavior of the function at a specific point, and not its overall behavior.

4. How can I determine if a two-variable function is continuous?

A two-variable function is continuous if it meets the following criteria: (1) the function is defined at the point in question, (2) the limit of the function at that point exists, and (3) the limit and the function value are equal at the point.

5. What are some common examples of two-variable functions that are continuous?

Some common examples of two-variable functions that are continuous include polynomial functions, exponential functions, and trigonometric functions. Additionally, any function that is composed of continuous functions will also be continuous.